General use cases and benefits
The following table summarizes the general metro node use cases and their benefits.
Table 1. General metro node use cases and benefits
|General use cases
Move data and applications without impact on users.
- Virtual Storage federation: Achieve transparent mobility and access within a data center and between data centers.
- Resiliency: Mirror across arrays within a single data center or between data centers without host impact. This increases availability for critical applications.
For all metro node deployments, do the following:
- Presents storage volumes from back-end arrays to metro node engines.
- Federates the storage volumes into hierarchies of metro node virtual volumes with user-defined configuration and protection levels.
- Presents virtual volumes to production hosts in the SAN through the metro node front-end.