Accelerate your applications
Maximize application performance with the optimal mix of accelerator cards, storage and compute power in a 2U, 2-socket platform optimized for VDI.
General-purpose workhorse optimized for workload accelerationMaximize your application performance with the PowerEdge R740 server, which brings you the perfect balance of accelerator cards, storage and compute resources in a 2U, 2-socket platform. With a wide range of GPU and FPGA options, the R740 has the versatility to adapt to virtually any application and provides the optimum platform for VDI deployments. The R740 offers up to 16 x 2.5” or 8 x 3.5” drives and iDRAC9, so you can scale to meet demands and simplify the entire IT lifecycle.
- Cloud applications/Web tech
Achieve IT transformation with the Dell PowerEdge portfolioThe R740 is a general-purpose workhorse optimized for workload acceleration. With its versatility, the R740 can help you transform your data center for VDI, artificial intelligence and software-defined storage (SDS).
- Simplify and accelerate VMware vSAN™ deployments with validated, pre-bundled and tailored Ready Nodes.
- Drive demanding workloads with 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and Intel® Optane™ DC Persistent Memory.
- Scale your VDI deployments with 3 double-width GPUs, supporting up to 50% more users when compared to R730.*
- Free up storage space using internal M.2 SSDs optimized for boot.
Automate productivity with intelligent, embedded management
Dell automation and intelligent management mean you spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on bigger priorities.
- Help maximize uptime and reduce the IT effort to resolve issues by up to 72%* with ProSupport Plus and SupportAssist.
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Help improve productivity with agent-free Dell iDRAC9 for automated, efficient management.
- Simplify deployment with OpenManage next-generation console and server profiles to fully configure and prep servers in rapid, scalable fashion.
Fortify your data center with comprehensive protectionDell provides a comprehensive, cyber-resilient architecture with security embedded into every server to protect your data.
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Take control of your firmware consoles with embedded authentication that is designed to allow only properly designed updates to run.
Dell Technologies offers complete end-to-end services
ProSupport Enterprise SuiteGain the freedom to focus on your business transformation with the support expertise and insights Dell Technologies is known for across the globe. Choose the right support based on the criticality of specific systems with available automated predictive analysis, collaborative third-party assistance and service account management.
ProDeployProDeploy Enterprise Suite helps you get more out of technology starting on day one. Trust our experts to lead deployments from basic hardware installations through planning, configuration and complex integrations. Our complete suite of deployment services and professional certifications helps you achieve business outcomes today and tomorrow.
Training & CertificationEducation Services offers an expansive suite of training services with multiple delivery methods, including instructor-led, self-paced online and virtual instructor-led training. With comprehensive and flexible training programs, we make it easy to ensure your staff has the skills they need to successfully manage and utilize your new technology to its full potential.
ConsultingConsulting services give expert guidance to help you grow, optimize and transform your IT environment at your own pace and budget. We employ a broad range of certified consultants and engineers, backed by program management teams, who can deliver deep technical expertise. We give you the confidence that your project will be done right and on time.
Financing and leasingAcquiring the latest IT solutions shouldn’t be as complicated as running your business. With Dell Financial Services you can finance and purchase in the same place*. It’s quick, it’s easy and most important, it lets you keep the “flow” in your cash flow.
- Up to two 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors with up to 28 cores per processor
- Canonical® Ubuntu® LTS
Microsoft Windows Server® with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
- Up to three 300W or six 150W GPUs
Up to three double-width or four single-width FPGAs
- DIMM Speed
Up to 2933MT/s
DCPMM (Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory)
Memory Module Slots
24 DDR4 DIMM slots (12 NVDIMM or 12 DCPMM only)
Supports registered ECC DDR4 DIMMs only
DCPMM 6.14TB (7.68TB with LRDIMM)
- Front Bays
Up to 16 x 2.5” SAS/SATA/SSD, max 122.88TB
Up to 8 x 3.5” SAS/SATA, max 128TB
- Internal Controllers
PERC H330, H730P, H740P, HBA330
H840, 12 Gbps SAS HBA
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem (BOSS):
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 240GB, 480GB
Internal Dual SD Module
- Cryptographically signed firmware
Silicon Root of Trust
System Lockdown (requires OpenManage Enterprise)
TPM 1.2/2.0, TCM 2.0 optional
- Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC Restful API with Redfish
Quick Sync 2 BLE/wireless module
OpenManage Power Center
Dell RACADM CLI
Dell Repository Manager
Dell System Update
Dell Server Update Utility
Dell Update Catalogs
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
IBM Tivoli® Network Manager IP Editio
Microsoft® System Center
RedHat® Ansible® Modules
IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus
Micro Focus Operations Manager I
- Network Options
4 x 1GbE
2 x 10GbE + 2 x 1GbE
4 x 10GbE
2 x 25GbE
1 x Dedicated iDRAC direct USB
2 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0 (optional)
1 x VGA
1 x Dedicated iDRAC network port
1 x Serial
2 x USB 3.0
1 x VGA
8 x Gen3 slots (4 x16)
1 x VGA
- Optional LCD bezel or security bezel
- 2U Rack Server
Dimensions & Weight
- ReadyRails™ sliding rails with optional cable management arm for 4-post racks (optional adapter brackets required for threaded hole racks).
- Choose Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information. Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region.