Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

2 Posts

July 26th, 2021 10:00

AW3821DW, automatic active Input Source detection?

Hello,

I recently purchased an Alienware AW3821DW monitor. I have 2 different PC's connected to it (Home and Work) and noticed it is not automatically switching to the active input source based on what PC I have turned on. I have to go into the monitors menu and select the input source manually each time. Is the an option for auto input source that I'm missing? If not available now, can this be added with a firmware update? If not this is a pretty big feature to be missing on such an expensive monitor. 

Thank you

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 26th, 2021 11:00

The online AW3821DW User's Guide (found under AW3821DW Documents) shows all that there is no, "automatic active Input Source detection".

Capture.JPG

A firmware update is only created to correct a systemic fault. What you are asking for would be an enhancement outside of the manufacturer specifications.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 26th, 2021 11:00

@Indabox81 wrote:

Hello,

I recently purchased an Alienware AW3821DW monitor. I have 2 different PC's connected to it (Home and Work) and noticed it is not automatically switching to the active input source based on what PC I have turned on. I have to go into the monitors menu and select the input source manually each time.  

You can buy a switch too.  That is typically what is done when more than one PC is connected to the same monitor.  

2 Posts

July 26th, 2021 14:00

You are right, so I am asking for a feature add then. Firmware updates can also deliver feature enhancements to products as well as fix defects. This should be a standard feature for any monitor that has multiple input sources. In fact, I don't recall having owned a monitor in many years that lacked this feature. LG has it on their comparable 38" Model 38GL950G. 

3 Posts

November 30th, 2022 15:00

@r72019 wrote:

@Indabox81 wrote:

Hello,

I recently purchased an Alienware AW3821DW monitor. I have 2 different PC's connected to it (Home and Work) and noticed it is not automatically switching to the active input source based on what PC I have turned on. I have to go into the monitors menu and select the input source manually each time.  

You can buy a switch too.  That is typically what is done when more than one PC is connected to the same monitor.  

That defeats the purpose! And absolutely not... you are referring to a KVM switch!!! Which accommodates more than 2 PCs... so for a typical HOME USER... KVM switch is OVERKILL and extra $$ when there are usually 2 to 3 input ports on most Monitors!  This auto detect feature/functionality has been on every single other monitor since I've dealt with flat monitors with multi input ports.  KVMs date back to CRT monitors!!!

3 Posts

November 30th, 2022 15:00

for a Monitor over $1K... it should absolutely have auto detect active input source!!! There is no REASON not to have that functionality on this monitor!!! Shame on Dell for this... as I am discovering!!!

3 Posts

November 30th, 2022 16:00

Seems the workaround for this is changing/customizing the settings for actions the buttons perform.

The four buttons behind right side of screen are identified as follows:

• Cancel Button
  • Shortcut Key 1 
  • Shortcut Key 2
  • Shortcut Key 3

I reset them as:

• Key 1 is Brightness
  • Key 2 is HDMI 1
  • Key 3 is HDMI 2

It's not perfect, but beats abusing that joystick for switching input every day!!! That's a lot of wear and tear on a button. More chances for it to break!

No Events found!