Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

12 Posts

September 21st, 2022 18:00

Aurora R13, AWCC and new GPU

Alienware Aurora R13

Alienware Aurora R13

I'm wondering. If I decide to upgrade my GPU that came pre-installed when I purchased my Alienware Aurora R13, would I be able to overclock the new GPU on the AWCC (Alienware Command Center) ?  Would it show there at least?

Thank you!

2 Intern

• 

264 Posts

Overclocking the R13 either CPU, RAM, or GPU is a dicey proposition given that the system cooling, even with Cryotech liquid cooling doesn't really have the capacity to adequately cool the components when overclocked. The CPU will throttle because of the high temps inside the case. The Aurora R13 does not support XMP profiles, so you can't overclock the RAM.

In theory, there's no reason why an upgraded GPU wouldn't be recognized by AWCC, but again, you will run into the system's thermal limitations when attempting to overclock. That said, if you are primarily using the R13 to game, which is what I use mine for, there's plenty of performance to run most games at max graphics settings with decent frame rates without overclocking. One example from personal experience, I play Guild Wars 2 a lot. It is pretty old-school tech-wise, in that it tends to be very CPU-intensive and was just recently upgraded from DX9 to DX11. Without overclocking, and max graphics settings, I get anywhere from 65-120fps. My R13 has a Core i9, 64GB RAM, and an Nvidia RTX3090 GPU.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

I don't see why not, but if it does not you can use MSI afterburner. In my opinion that is a much better tool to monitor and overclock a GPU than AWCC will ever be.

1 Rookie

• 

676 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 06:00

I find these Alienware machines to do very good with a 4.9 a 5.0 GHz overclock anything higher is really not needed and these cases can’t handle it due to lack of AirFlow. You’ll find that a Gpu undervolt with msi afterburner does really well too.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 15:00

At what resolution are you running GW2? I want to compare against my system.

1 Rookie

• 

436 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 15:00

I disagre with the comments about thermals.  Having my R13 since Dec. 2021, I haven't had any thermal issues.  The only throttling I've had was because of the BIOS locked issues.  That's when doing 100% cpu workloads for constant times.  Gaming wise, I've never seen the system throttle at all, and that's running the i9 12900KF at 5.3Ghz all cores, and the e-cores at 4.1Ghz.

As far as AWCC goes with other GPU cards.  I've put AMD card, a EVGA 2080ti card, EVGA 3080, EVGA 3080ti, all recognized and no problems with performance or stability.

I'll also say, don't use AWCC to overclock the CPU or GPU.  Use Intel XTU for CPU and MSI Afterburner for GPU.

2 Intern

• 

264 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 16:00

I run at 3840x1600 (Windowed Fullscreen). Advanced settings are Animation, High; Antialiasing, SMAA High; Environment, High; LOD Distance, Ultra; Reflections, All; Textures, High; Render Sampling, Supersample; Shadows, Ultra; Shaders, High; Postprocessing, High; Character Model Limit, Highest, Character Model Quality, Highest; Ambient Occlusion, On; Best Texture Filtering, On; Depth Blur, On; Effect LOD, off; High--Res Character Textures, On; Light Adaptation, On; Vertical Sync off.

I'm currently idling in Arborstone at 111FPS. My system fans are working...but not particularly hard..GPU temp, 75 degrees c.

18 Posts

September 26th, 2022 10:00

@F34R  Respectfully, there is no way you are hitting 5.3 Ghz on all cores on an R13 direct from the factory. If you are, please post a pic. If you hit 5.2 Ghz on all cores please post a pic.

1 Rookie

• 

436 Posts

September 26th, 2022 13:00

@John Galt Here's my info:

Taming the R13 - Eliminate thermal/power throttling : Alienware (reddit.com)

Gaming, there's a screen shot in that thread, 5.3GHz and 4.1GHz as I stated.

18 Posts

September 29th, 2022 15:00

Thank you for sharing. Impressive, indeed.

No Events found!