Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2017 12:00

17R4 QHD 120 HTZ or UHD 60 HTZ both with Gsync

Hey Everyone,

I am looking at getting a new 17R4 reasonably soon with 90% of what it is used being gaming. I am having a bit of a tough time deciding on displays.

Options: Getting the 7820 processor and 1080 Graphics card

a.   2k QHD 120 HTZ TN-WVA with GSync

b.   4k UHD 60 HTZ IPS Panel with Gsync

I know the refresh rate is huge and I also know that even the 1080 will struggle to run 4k games at 60 FPS. The question really is will the 4k with the Gsync help mitigate the loss of FPS?

Games I play/ed

Witcher 3

Mass Effect

Tomb Raider

Uncharted 4

Dishonored

Borderlands

I do like overwatch and destiny every now and then but am far below elite. I would say I am average and don't spend a ton of time with them. As you can tell I like many different types of games but generally stay away from online competitive games for the most part.

Thank you,

Ike

October 20th, 2017 21:00

Hi Ike,

If you used both for 24 hours straight, I can guarantee that you would like the higher frame rates better. The G-Sync will still make a large impact on the 120Hz display. 1440p is the sweet spot for gaming right now because you can still play on the highest settings while getting 100+ fps depending on the game. I have an Aurora R6 with high end hardware, and during the Destiny 2 Beta it was crushing it with its cap of 200 fps, and hit lows of around 130 fps (High settings I believe, there was some weird texture aliasing on highest that needed to be kinked out so I didn't play on that setting). With that configuration I would imagine you would be hitting around 100-120 fps consistently on Destiny 2 on high settings.

2 Posts

October 21st, 2017 11:00

Be careful. I have a UHD screen which was advertised as G-Sync and was even confirmed by Sales as having G-Sync before ordering, but actually it isn't (and has been refunded - the only G-Sync screen they could offer as a replacement was the QHD screen anyway - and to be honest I decided I liked the quality of the UHD screen). I am not sure the AW 17 R4 currently has a G-Sync UHD option - they recently changed the descriptions on the order page to specifically state "(No G-Sync)" for the UHD screen, because this has been an issue for quite a few customers.

No Events found!