Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2021 16:00

m15 R5, reaches 101°C during gaming

Anyone else has experienced very high CPU temperature during gaming on M15 R5? Mine has reached 101°C when playing Need for speed. It stays around 101 degree even the fans were full speed already.

AMD suggests the max operating temperature for AMD Ryzen R7 5800H is 105°C, not sure if this is right for the M15 R5.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

June 13th, 2021 18:00

Hi @Jaybeeef  welcome to this user to user discussion forum. This is not Dell Support. 

There are many internet CPU reports comparing AMD Ryzen 7 5800H vs Intel Core i7-10875H

Evidently the AMD CPU Ryzen R7 5800H Maximum temperature is 105°C. When CPU runs very hot at about 100ºC (212ºF, boiling point of water), all the parts within the laptop enclosure will age faster at this elevated temperature, especially the aging lithium-ion chemistry in the main battery. Always put m15 R5 on a tray or table top, never directly on your lap. Always ensure that all intake and exhaust vents are not obstructed. When m15 R5 laptop is being used, never allow young children to have physical contact, etc. 

Please click on Kudos to say thank you for response from user that is not employed by Dell. Please share an update on progress, so that other users derive benefit from your experience. Thank you. 

Alienware m15 Ryzen Edition R5 - Technical SpecificationsAlienware m15 Ryzen Edition R5 - Technical Specifications

June 15th, 2021 02:00

Below is a link for tuning your M15 R5. It includes a tweak that lowered the laptop temps on my by ~5c. I found this video to be simply gold when it comes to tuning this particular laptop model. I hope it further helps your experience.

Alienware M15 R5 Deep Dive - Tweaking, Upgrading and Battery Life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUv0C_FWQHU

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

June 14th, 2021 11:00

Lower the clock speeds of the CPU manually to 3.2Ghz and turn off any overclocking. Then set the fans to max out in speed and try running a game after it cooled down. Because I'm thinking that maybe the CPU produces too much heat at a specific clockspeed.

June 14th, 2021 12:00

My M15 R5 does the same thing. Always running at around 100 C for the CPU and about 80 C for the GPU while gaming. I even re-pasted the laptop with some high quality paste and its still at around the same temps. It is odd as the temps are exactly the same whether the fans are going full blast or if I'm running in Balanced mode.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or it is something Dell can fix with software. I'm considering returning it but I still have a few weeks to think about it. 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

June 14th, 2021 12:00

Hi @Baked_Goat  thank you for sharing update.  Do not wait for 30 day approval to diminish, advocate you contact Dell Order Support and Reject system which obviously has a fault. You should declare your remedy, new replacement system or full refund. Dell Policy Here

Dell Order Support.jpg

June 14th, 2021 17:00

Thanks for the suggestion! I called and they are sending a tech to replace the heartsick and fan. They did some tests and the chip seems to be alright. I’ll report back and let you know what happens. I’d prefer a fix over a replacement as it took a few weeks to get it in the first place.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

June 14th, 2021 20:00

I feel like nobody takes my messages seriously. Why don't you lower the Speeds on the CPU? 3.2ghz is perfect for anybody since the IPC for the newer CPU's is better than the Older ones that have to be clocked higher to achieve those IPC's. Its your Choice to Return it but to keep it convenient for you I would just lower the Clockspeed.

December 30th, 2021 22:00

I am using m15 r5 for sims 4 gaming, it is working nice with me. Please make sure laptop environment temperature that should be moderate. Also make sure is there any blockage in laptops ventilations?

No Events found!