Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 23rd, 2021 16:00

How to restart a Chromebook 7410 to fix issues (frozen, etc.) or What is the CTL-ALT-DEL for the 7410?

Sometime the Chromebook will hang or you wish to remove some files , likes cookie or unused/lost information, in the Chromebook.   

In the 7310 I would hold the refresh key and tap the power key, the machine would reboot and the Chromebook's  memory storage refreshed without a hard reset.  No information was lost!  This procedure was like a soft reboot in a windows machine (CTL-ALT-DEL).  

I tried this with the 7410 and it was placed into RECOVERY MODE.   I search the web and some still list my 7310  (refresh+power) way and others list holding refresh during power up.

In the 7410 manual the only thing mentioned is the refresh + power to enter recovery mode.

Can you specify the correct way to do a "restart"/soft reboot on the 7410 Chromebook?   Dell should include these instructions with every Chromebook sold.  

What is the CTRL-ALT-DEL for the 7410 Chromebook?

22 Posts

March 29th, 2021 12:00

Thank you for your response! It was great.

I tried the SHIFT- ESC and was informed by my 7410 Chromebook that this keyboard shortcut has been changed to Search-ESC.

The Ctrl-ALT-? menu does not list "hard reset" in the shortcut list.

-------

From the Chromebook 7410 Enterprise service manual:

Recovering the Chromebook section:

Step 1- Check for the Chrome OS is missing or damaged message
If you see this message, you can first try to perform a hard reset on your Chromebook by pressing Refresh + Power. If you still see this
message after performing a hard reset, please proceed to Step 2 (using the recovery USB flash drive)

---------

I cannot find the esc+refresh+ power mention except in an old 2017 article.

---------

From GOOGLE - (Reset Chromebook hardware - "answer/3227606?hl=en"):

Reset your Chromebook hardware

To fix some Chromebook problems, you might need to reset your Chromebook hardware, also called a hard reset.

Try a hard reset only after other ways to fix the problem have failed. It will restart your Chromebook hardware (like your keyboard and touchpad), and might delete some files in your Downloads folder.

Hard reset your Chromebook

For most Chromebooks, follow the steps below:

1. Turn off your Chromebook.
  2. Press and hold Refresh + tap Power. 
  3. When your Chromebook starts up, release Refresh 

On tablets: Press the Volume Up and Power buttons for at least 10 seconds, then release them.

I cannot find a list of the latest Chromebook keyboard shortcuts.  Do you know how to find this complete list?

March 29th, 2021 09:00

Ctrl Alt Delete is not a soft reboot on a windows machine. It brings up a menu and is most often used to get to the task manager to kill specific tasks.

On a Chromebook Shift + Escape brings up the task manager.

If you want to shut it down properly you hold the power button.

If you have hardware issues you use Power + Refresh.

The recovery menu should be Esc + Refresh + Power.

These controls are for laptops and obviously don't work the same in tablet mode.

March 30th, 2021 05:00

This Forum gets almost no trafic. You call Dell directly. Or, try the Google forums, there are alot of very good experts there and alot of trafic. https://support.google.com/chromebook/community

No Events found!