Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2022 09:00

Dell SC with a single tier

We are running an SC with a single tier of storage.

Is it required to apply a snapshot profile to an SC with a single tier of disks? I understand snapshots play a role in data progression, however in this case there is a single tier of disks.

Can I remove the volume from all snapshot profile associations?

Is there any risk to data in doing so?

After removing the snapshot profile from a volume, I plan to expire all associated snapshots. Any issue with this?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

75% of all my deployments are Single Tier ones.....  Compellents with "SSD Only" but not called a All Flash Array.

There is no "need" to use a Snapshot profile but..  the snapshot we use is at first part of the Data Protection strategy. So primary reason is security.... the second one is that a snapshot will trigger the Data Progression on demand. Even when not licensed for DataProgression (because of only having one Tier) the system use a hidden one and please keep in mind that there RAID conversion from RAID10 -> RAID5 for example. If not it will kicked in on 07:00pm.

Regards,
Joerg

11 Posts

Thanks Joerg, much appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

There is no risk by removing the Snapshot profile. Yes it will move Data within the TIER without a Snapshot profile.

Regards,
Joerg

11 Posts

Thanks for the reply Origin3k.

So if I understand correctly, if I remove the snapshot profile from a volume, there is no data risk.

Also, if I understand correctly, in regards to volumes, with a single tier and no snapshot profile, the Compellent will use the hidden snapshot with Data Progression to move data between different RAID levels, 10 -> 5  within that single tier. 

Thanks again

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

October 31st, 2022 12:00

As an additional information.. when the SCv20x0 (aka Maverik) comes to the market the Snapshot license comes as a optional feature. It was not part of the base system which makes it clear that the Snaphot feature isnt needed (but highly recommended).

No Events found!