Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2022 06:00

Vostro 5620, LCD screen cracked, box damaged

I received my Vostro 5620 laptop 3 months ago. I got it for my wife birthday which just passed. When I opened the box and plugged the computer in, the LCD had a huge crack down the middle of the screen! The box was partially damaged and I suspect the shipping company. I tried calling Dell support and technical support and they keep rerouting me and saying they can't help me. I went through online support to tell them my computer was broken on arrival but haven't gotten any word back yet. I don't know what to do here? A brand new system that is now practically useless, and Dell isn't giving me any help! And what do I do with my broken laptop? All I have right now is a brand new $1200 paperweight.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 17th, 2022 10:00

You're certainly entitled to think that, but Dell is going to point you toward the shipping company, which will require evidence (the packaging) that the system was damaged in transit (which it almost certainly was).

The system warranty does not cover damage, but the shipper's insurance should.  You would have a more solid case if the damage had been reported on arrival or shortly thereafter.  At this point you may not have a chance with them, but it's your best  option.

The system warranty does not cover accidental damage such as a cracked screen -- no manufacturer's warranty on a mobile device does.

7 Posts

November 17th, 2022 07:00

The laptop was purchased end of aug we had just opened it up a couple of weeks ago since received this way i think dell should replace the screen or send a new laptop 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 17th, 2022 07:00

If this came from Dell and you've retained all the original packing material, you can try filing a damage claim with the shipper.

You may have to act quickly, since the major shippers have a time limit on filing claims -- for UPS it is two months;  others may differ.

Otherwise, you're looking at filing a claim with your personal homeowner's or renter's insurance company.

7 Posts

November 22nd, 2022 14:00

Yea, i keep getting the run around some tech will replace others not. So they said call the out of warranty people since dell doesnt really care about the circumstances, they dont have the part in stock but if i send it to the depot they magically have the part in stock (maybe) if not have to wait more time for part to become. I feel defeated just pay for it be done but will never purchase a dell ever again with the sh-show service i have gotten 

No Events found!