Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2013 13:00

How to get WS-MAN to inventory iDRAC6 and iDRAC7

I am unable to use WS-Man for inventory and discovery of iDRAC cards.  What are the steps to use WS-MAN.  For instance -user name an password for WS-Man.  Also, is there any setting I have to change/modify on the iDRACs themselves?

Thansk,

Jack

13 Posts

June 17th, 2013 14:00

I am able to use the toubleshooting tool to connect using WS-Man for several iDRACs.  However, when I run the inventory and discovery in OME, it does not find the Dracs.

Thanks,

Jack

327 Posts

June 17th, 2013 18:00

By default Troubleshooting tool connects to iDRAC using secure mode (https) for WSMAN protocol. However secure mode needs to be enabled in OME discovery wizard (WS-Man Configuration).

Have you enabled "Secure mode" in OME discovery wizard ? Make sure to select "Skip common name check". If you have the SSL certificate select it using Browse button or check "Trusted Site".

Re-run discovery+inventory and let us know if you are able to discover iDRACs.

Thanks,

Raj Shresta

13 Posts

June 18th, 2013 05:00

That worked this morning.  Thanks alot!

Jack

2.8K Posts

March 13th, 2014 16:00

Ok, yeah, good deal.

What version of OME are you using.  There have been intermittent problems where an "invalid" protocol, in this case SSH (since SSH is not used to communicate with the iDRAC) can cause classification problems when the discovery task runs.   Guess the SSH can clobber the classification that WSMan is supposed to be doing.  Technically, you should be able to mix protocols and OME should tolerate it, but if you ever run into trouble, it's a good step to try.

Regards,

Rob

I've tested this and while the DRAC logs show successful login via WS-MAN and SSH, Openmanage Essentials still shows this as an unknown device. I've selected Secure Mode and Skip Common name check, and trusted site. No luck. Thoughts?

2.8K Posts

Hi there Joseph,

Just to confirm.  You have _only_ WSMan selected as the protocol in your discovery range?

Thx

Rob

Hmm.. Not sure why it would be required to select ONLY WSMan, but you sir are correct, that worked! Any explanation as to why?

March 13th, 2014 19:00

Awesome. Thanks for the good advice there and definitely send that up as a bug if you can. Thanks!

4 Posts

August 7th, 2014 03:00

I have similar kind of issue but its little weird.

Server model R815, Discovery run using WS-MAN only but does not recognize. The troubleshooting tool does recognize the host but the OME always appears as unknown.

2.8K Posts

August 7th, 2014 07:00

Hi there,

Can you let me know what version of iDrac firmware you are running on the R815?

Also, can you confirm in your discovery wizard you only have the WSMan protocol selected.  And I always check all of the checkboxes on the WSMan preferences (unless you are using certs).

Thanks,

Rob

www.delltechcenter.com/ome

2.8K Posts

August 7th, 2014 10:00

Ok...

Is this a WAN or LAN environment?

Can you try increasing the times out and retry values on the ICMP and WSMan discovery pages.

Delete and re-discover.

For this troubleshooting exercise, make sure you have right-click disabled the other disc ranges and you create a range with just this troublesome IP/hostname and only the WSMan protocol selected.

Thx

Rob

4 Posts

August 7th, 2014 10:00

Its is running iDRAC6 1.97 (Build 02) and the working one and YES the all the ws-man options are checked including secure mode.

4 Posts

August 8th, 2014 03:00

Still no go.. hosts and OME, both are in LAN. I increased the ICMP and WS-MAN timeout.

2.8K Posts

August 8th, 2014 07:00

Ok, does not make sense, this is pretty basic, so I must be missing something.  Let's get a ticket opened so we can get support to take a closer look (800-945-3355).

Thanks,

Rob

4 Posts

August 8th, 2014 09:00

Thanks Rob, I have a support case opened and they are still working on it past 5 days. Thought to check on techcenter if I am missing any piece but all the configuration looks good. we also upgraded the iDRAC from 1.92 to 1.97 but still no go.

Will update this thread once its resolved!!

No Events found!