Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2017 14:00

Dell Area 51 not booting up when Kensington SD3500v is plugged in

I have a Dell Area 51 desktop that won't boot up when I plug in a Kensington  SD3500v port replicator (AKA Docking Station), but once booted up I can plug the port replicator and move the monitor, mouse and keyboard to the SD3500v and everything works fine. It seems to fail only when I boot up either from cold (Off stage then turned on) or warm (Windows Restart).  

I checked the BIOS and it shows A10 which seems to be the last one listed by Dell.com/support 

I reached out to Kensington and they recommended I contacted Dell support but I am out of warranty so I will get no support. 

I know the SD3500v is OK because 3 other laptops work just fine.  When plugged to it they all boot up as expected, it is only the Desktop Are 51 that won't boot up. 

Again, once booted up and plugged back into the port replicator it all works fine. Speaker, printer, keyboard, mouse, monitors, camera.  Any peripheral plugged to the SD3500v will work just fine. 

I appreciate any help. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 28th, 2017 16:00

Probably get a better response if you repost this in the Alienware Club forum, and mention the version of Windows when you post over there.  

en.community.dell.com/.../default.aspx

BTW: Is there a USB Boot Support option in BIOS that needs to be DISabled?

3 Posts

January 1st, 2018 15:00

Thank you for your suggestion RoHe. I will check that other forum you gave me.

I checked the USB option in the BIOS and there was one which was "turned off" before boot up. I turned on but had no effect.  I'll post my question in the Alienware Club forum

No Events found!