Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 12-12-2015 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell Dimension 9200. Amber light blinks. Power disconnect day+ it works but shutdown and it will not work unless unplugged for a day

Amber light blinks and no status indicators on the front panel next to USB ports. (see amber light on mother board, holding power button 15sec+ it goes away but the computer wont start, some times the fan is on couple seconds), initially it used to go in cycle (starts for about 3-5 sec and shuts down) few times and the blinking amber light come on.

If I disconnect the power cord for a day+ and try, it worked, shutdown and restart immediately worked too but when I shutdown and come back after few hours it will not boot again (power plugged in).
Disconnecting the power for a day+ again and tried it worked once.

I did the reset by holding the power button 15sec+ but no luck. Waiting a day+ unplugged worked so far about three times will try tomorrow again and see what happens if I don't shutdown the computer ever.

Is this a PSU or motherboard problem or some other problem? Hope it can be fixed.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
10 Diamond

Amber light blinks and no status indicators on the front panel next to USB ports. (see amber light on mother board, holding power button 15sec+ it goes away but the computer wont start, some times the fan is on couple seconds), initially it used to go in cycle (starts for about 3-5 sec and shuts down) few times and the blinking amber light come on.

If I disconnect the power cord for a day+ and try, it worked, shutdown and restart immediately worked too but when I shutdown and come back after few hours it will not boot again (power plugged in).

I did the reset by holding the power button 15sec+ but no luck. Waiting a day+ unplugged worked so far about three times will try tomorrow again and see what happens if I don't shutdown the computer ever.

Is this a PSU or motherboard problem or some other problem? Hope it can be fixed.

Rav96

A blinking amber power LED, usually indicates a power supply issue, given the age of the Dimension 9200, that is highly likely.

Try replacing the power supply with a 'Known' working power supply, to see if this makes a difference.

This system does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can install most standard ATX power supplies with a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and this can be purchased from most local, or online computer stores.

The 9200 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be installed.

Note: You need a power supply, with six SATA power connectors.

Or, you can buy a Dell OEM [Dell P/N KH624] 375w refurbished power supply from here:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Dimension-Power-Supply-KH624/dp/B0039OHV2O

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

View solution in original post

Replies (2)
10 Diamond

Rav96

A blinking amber power LED, usually indicates a power supply issue, given the age of the Dimension 9200, that is highly likely.

Try replacing the power supply with a 'Known' working power supply, to see if this makes a difference.

This system does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can install most standard ATX power supplies with a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and this can be purchased from most local, or online computer stores.

The 9200 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be installed.

Note: You need a power supply, with six SATA power connectors.

Or, you can buy a Dell OEM [Dell P/N KH624] 375w refurbished power supply from here:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Dimension-Power-Supply-KH624/dp/B0039OHV2O

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

@shesagordie. Thanks.

It worked without any changes but unfortunately got stuck during windows update process and then disk got corrupted. Tried multiple times os installing and nothing worked during installation but before I fixed that issue,  the first problem of blinking amber light started again after working 10's of times without issue.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor