Desktops General - Read Only

2 Bronze

Dell Latitude D830 with nVidia Quadro NVS 140 M + Windows 7 = drivers not working

Greetings to the Dell forums ^^

I recently installed Windows 7 (Professional x86) on my Dell Latitude D830 laptop, in a dualboot with Ubuntu.

I wanted to reinstall my programmes, including my beloved games, on this brand new operating system. When installing the nVidia Quadro NVS 140M drivers needed to run these programmes, the thing kind of broke and left me behind with a flashing screen full of weird stripes in all different colours. In other words, the drivers are still in BETA testing.

I asked around and got the advice to use the same drivers but for Windows Vista 32bit. I tried that, but got the same output.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Are there any "replacement drivers" I could use to at least make the programmes run?

Thanks in advance!

Yours sincerely

Amy

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

You need to download and install DirectX June 2010 patch.  Extract to a folder and run DXSETUP.EXE

Then install the latest WHQL Verde Drivers.

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) - Microsoft

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) - Microsoft

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

www.nvidia.com/.../notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-296.10-whql-driver.html

www.nvidia.com/.../notebook-win7-winvista-285.62-whql-driver.html

If you own a Dell Inspiron 1420, Dell XPS M1330, Dell XPS M1530, or Dell Latitude D630/D630c it is highly recommended that you first UPDATE THE BIOS TO THE LATEST VERSION.

For the best experience, NVIDIA strongly recommends installing the following Dell SBIOS update before installing the NVIDIA notebook reference driver:

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
Replies (13)
7 Thorium

You are going to have to install the DELL drivers for the video.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

2 Bronze

I tried the drivers for Windows 7 on the nVidia website as well as the drivers for Windows Vista hosted by the Dell-website.

Windows 7 isn't in the list for drivers for my machine.

7 Thorium

The drivers on the Nvidia site as you found are Beta drivers. Video card manufactures such as Nvidia and ATI do not normally support laptop video systems. Instead they leave that up to the OEM's such as Dell to provide the drivers, which are normally reworked to achieve the best performance for the particular build.

You should reload the Vista driver for the 32 or 64 bit version you are running. Most Vista drivers work on win 7.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card

Forum member since 2003

2 Bronze

What do you mean by "reload"? I just installed them about five hours ago, the Vista driver for 32 bit.  It didn't work.

7 Thorium

you may still have some corrupted files then on your system. go HERE. Download the Driversweeper program install it but do not run it. Make a short cut to the program and place it on the desktop. 

Boot into safe mode. Tap the F8 key as the Dell splash screen at boot up. once in safe mode go to programs and features and uninstall the Nvidia driver. do not reboot if asked to. Once you uninstall the driver, run the Driversweeper program. once you have done this go ahead and reboot into normal windows. Reinstall the Dell vista driver then.

Forum member since 2003

2 Bronze

I tried that. Seven times or so. It still throws me colourful bars and flashing things...

I switched back to Vista and even there, the drivers won't work. I installed a clean version of Vista Ultimate and downloaded the Vista drivers and yay, back to colourful bars and flashing things.

The feeling that it might not be a driver problem but actually a broken graphics card is growing. No experience with that whatshowever, so if anyone would care to enlighten me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

2 Bronze

After updating my BIOS and chipset drivers, I got Vista to work. When I tried to boot from my Windows 7 install disc, things went bonkers again.

Deleted the drivers, installed Win 7, updated chipset as well and tried all the drivers that the Dell suggested, including the Vista drivers from the Dell website and the Windows 7 drivers from the nVidia website, but I can't get to the login screen. My screen goes striped, white, colour blocks... what should I do?

2 Bronze

I have to admit I have no idea what your problem is other than a physical problem with the graphics card. That's what I was told anyway, since I have the exact same problem and it started happening around the exact same time. I'm suspicious of the drivers though, I wonder if there was a buggy update that got automatically installed. Anyone have any luck with this yet?

2 Bronze

I also have a Dell Latitude 830 and recently installed Win 7 Pro on it. I didn't realize up until today that it nolonger recognizes the nVidia NVS140M card as being present. I just have a generic monitor in the "Devices" menu. I found out when I went to give a talk using a projector and couldn't connect using the VGA port. I have installed the latest drivers from Dell but it doesn't help. There is a new "Verde" driver on the nVidia site that I have downloaded but not yet installed - there are some disclaimers I didn't like the look of. Any thoughts?

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions