Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 03-23-2010 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell Precision workstation 390 - system battery low voltage, battery replaced - error persists!!!

Hi,

I own and have been using a 2 1/2 year old Dell Precision 390 workstation;

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          x2 6700  @ 2.66GHz

6Gb memory, 64 bit Windows 7 home premium, NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600 768Mb

Recently got the `Alert! System battery low voltage`, cant find disk drive etc etc on boot up.

Hit F1 to resume and windows attempts to load but after a few seconds the boot ends abruptly and the computer restarts to the same error...

Have replaced the motherboard system battery but the problem persists - any ideas???

Cheers, James.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Did you power off, unplug and press/hold the power button before removing the old battery? And did you press/hold the power button again for ~30 sec after removing the old one, and before installing the new battery?

Another forum member in the UK, recently had a similar problem on a different system. It turned out the "new" battery was as dead as the old one. (Or he inadvertantly reinstalled the old one without realizing it.  :emotion-3:  )

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
Replies (5)
8 Krypton

Did you power off, unplug and press/hold the power button before removing the old battery? And did you press/hold the power button again for ~30 sec after removing the old one, and before installing the new battery?

Another forum member in the UK, recently had a similar problem on a different system. It turned out the "new" battery was as dead as the old one. (Or he inadvertantly reinstalled the old one without realizing it.  :emotion-3:  )

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Community Accepted Solution
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi Ron,

Thanks, I’ll try this button press/hold solution and see what occurs. Prior to this forum email, I had tried 4 different batteries but with no success...

I’m wondering also if my windows installation is corrupted – I recently installed some software that came with my new Samsung Jet mobile phone (Samsung PC Suite) and had issues with the install process that were solved by installing under compatibility mode (recommended by Samsung). Don’t really trust this method of installation and as such perhaps my windows 7 needs a re-install?

Could a corrupted windows system play silly bu44ers with my BIOS/system battery etc?? Or are they two discrete systems??

James.

8 Krypton

Don't think it's a Windows problem, though it couldn't hurt to boot from the Win 7 disk and let it check things out.

BIOS is stored on a NVRAM chip on the motherboard, so it's possible either the voltage sensor circuitry failed and it doesn't know there's a fresh battery, or the error message is "stuck" and won't clear even though the battery is fresh. When you remove the battery, gently wipe the contacts in the socket with a lint-free cloth and make sure there aren't any fingerprints or grease on the battery when you reinstall it. Hold it by the edges, and you might cover it with the cloth before you press down to snap it into place.

If none of that helps and you don't have the latest version of BIOS on this system, you might consider flashing an update. Keep in mind that there's always a chance that a BIOS flash update will fail, meaning the motherboard is toast, so that's something to consider. Never do a flash update if there are thunderstorms in the area, or any chance the power could go out during the process. And disconnect all peripherals, including network connections, before the flash, leaving only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Sorted, re-seated the battery and performed the 30 second button press routine - now have a happy BIOS.

Windows however was still screwed so re-installed and now all is back to normal.

Moral of the story.... If you have recently purchased the splendid new Samsung Jet S8000 mobile phone and are using Windows 7, dont under any surcumstances install (in compatability or any other mode) the PC Suite that comes with it!..... wait for an updated `Windows 7` version.... 

8 Krypton

:emotion-21:

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions