Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2013 20:00

Dell XPS 8500 Unable To Boot

I bought a dell XPS 8500 roughly 7 months ago. After being away for a week, I return home and power on my computer. It works fine for roughly 15-20 minutes. Afterwards my keyboard and mouse start flickering their lights (both USB powered) and being unresponsive. All internal fans started running on high speed. Without any way to power it down normally, I held the power button to force it off. When I tried to power it back up, the top power button has no light, and is unresponsive. The back power light is green, but every 5 seconds or so will flick off and you'll hear the computer try to start (like when you first plug in a power cord. Just every 5 seconds). When I look inside, the motherboard had an orange light. (I should note whenever my tower "cycles" my apartments lights dim. It's never done that normally). Any help would be appreciated.

1.3K Posts

June 25th, 2013 21:00

Hi Camrocks,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

Please click on the link below for a useful article on steps to troubleshoot the Dell XPS 8500.

http://dell.to/14r4dNx

Let me know if further help is needed.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

2 Posts

June 25th, 2013 21:00

I am unable to download anything for it currently since it won't turn on (pressing the power button does nothing). However, I did disconnect all external devices and plugged it in. The fans instantly kicked on one at a time, with now all of them running for about 5 minutes now. Still no response when I push the power button. Power light on the back of the tower is now solid green, motherboard light is still solid orange.

1.3K Posts

June 25th, 2013 23:00

Hi Camrocks,

Thank you for your reply.

The Power Supply Unit on the XPS 8500 does a self-diagnostic when the Power is turned on. The LED is an indicator of whether the PSU is working properly or not. Since the LED is solid green,  it indicates that the power supply is working properly.     

The XPS 8500 also emits a series of beeps during start-up if the display cannot show errors or problems. These series of beeps, called beep codes, identify various problems.

• 3 means 3-3-3-3...That is 3 beeps and 3 beeps and ...: Endless looping until user presses the power button to shut down the system.
  • The delay between each beep is 300ms, The delay between each set of beeps is 3 sec, The beep sound last 300ms.
  • After each beep and each set of beeps, the BIOS should detect if the user presses the power button, if so, BIOS will jump out from looping and execute the normal shutdown process and power system.

Please let us know if you hear the system beeping on startup and the status of the power button LED. When you say that the power button does nothing, does it mean that if remains off, steady amber or blinking? The XPS 8500 power button light illuminates and blinks or remains solid to indicate different states.

The link below has a uselful article on steps to troubleshoot the Dell XPS 8500.

http://dell.to/14r4dNx

If you do not hear any beeps, try the steps mentioned below:

• Disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Peripherals also include external storage devices such as flash drives, USB devices, cards etc.
  • Drain MB power about one minute (until MB lights turn off, which can take from 20 seconds up to one minute).
  • Make sure that the monitor is receiving power and that it is plugged into the correct port on the video card.
  • Refer to steps in the link above for removing internal components like memory, etc. to determine exact point of failure.

Do keep us posted with the results so that we are able to help you further, if required.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

1.3K Posts

June 29th, 2013 06:00

Hi Camrocks,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

1 Message

June 7th, 2014 16:00

Hi i got the same kind of problem the light behind is a solid green and the motherboard light is orange

but the power button does nothing at all no sound no light nothing i have disconnect everything connected even the monitor, the mouse, the keyboard did the first step after the orange light on the motherboard is the hard disk thanks for your replay it is greatly appreciated sorry my poor English .

13 Posts

September 29th, 2014 14:00

Same thing happened to me today.   This is definitely happening a lot.  Why has Dell not posted a solution?

3 Posts

October 20th, 2014 05:00

I'm experiencing the same issue with my XPS 8500 since last weekend. I have removed all unnecesary components (both internal and external), exchanged the CMOS battery for a fresh one and tried all suggested solutions i could find, but still the problem exists. The PSU has a solid green led with the power connected, the motherboard has a solid orange led.

What else can I do?

217 Posts

December 29th, 2014 12:00

ME too ;^(  Its going to be the mobo I bet. Same deal

PSU fine - as per green light, as per PSU tester, as per swapped with one from another machine

CMOS refresh no change.

Power button causes exterior and CPU fan to start for a second then stop.  Then after 2-3 seconds tries again.

No POST without RAM.

Same effects regardless of bare breadcrumb testing - from bare mobo up thru RAM and video.

3 Posts

December 31st, 2014 00:00

I couldn't fix the issue myself so I sent my XPS back to Dell. They repaired the motherboard and returned my PC within a week. Problem fixed!

217 Posts

December 31st, 2014 09:00

Mine of course was out of warranty by a couple months.  You think for a seemingly known issue they would resolve it.  My replacement mobo gets here Friday.  Will put it in and report back.

7 Posts

January 1st, 2015 01:00

Restore your computer to factory settings (if you have a restore cd or restore partition - To restore from a partition after turning on computer, hit F11 or CTRL+F11 and walk through the process) OR Reinstall Windows.

217 Posts

January 1st, 2015 09:00

If the mobo is dead we cant get the restore functions.  We aren't even getting to BIOS

1 Message

January 14th, 2015 19:00

Roattw,

Did you ever put in the new motherboard? Did it work? How much did it cost?

217 Posts

January 21st, 2015 16:00

I have it here but haven't had a chance to install it yet.  Will try to install this weekend and report back.  I am confident it will work because there is nothing left it could be.  And I had another Dell (XPS 9100) with same symptoms: power button causes PSU to fire a 2 seconds, CPY and case fans spin, then nothing.  Replacing that mobo worked.

I found it for $140 on eBay from a seller with good ratings:  http://www.ebay.com/usr/jkcomputerparts?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

217 Posts

January 25th, 2015 16:00

I installed the new mobo and the PC fired right up.  Thanks Dell for 2 bad mobo's in 2 years.

No Events found!