Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2014 22:00

Dell XPS 8500 - Will Not Boot At All - Motherboard Problems?

I have a Dell XPS 8500 that I purchased in January of 2013 and of course is now out of warranty. I haven't had too many issues with the pc but last week I was in the process of copying some video files from the SD card that was in the card reader onto the hard drive. My wife told me that supper was ready so I left the system to finish copying the large video files to the HDD and ate with my family.

After we finished eating, I went back into the office to discover that my computer was turned off. I tried to turn it back on and got no response from it at all. I held the power button down and still nothing. After unplugging all peripherals I still did not get any response. I unplugged the power cord that goes into the power supply and the green led on the back of that flickered as I unplugged and plugged that in so I thought I had my issue properly diagnosed as a PSU failure. I ordered a replacement PSU and installed that today but I am still not getting any response from the computer when trying to boot it up. I have all of the cords from the PSU connected properly to the hard drive and the dvd drive and the 24 pin connector to the motherboard as well as the 4 pin connection as well.

The ONLY response I get when trying to power the computer on is that the fan in the PSU and the fan on the back of the case surge momentarily and go back to a stop. They don't even make a half of a revolution and that is all I get.

Any suggestions would be wonderful! I am wondering if it is a motherboard issue and if so, where to get a replacement motherboard. And if it isn't the mobo, what else it could be.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Matt in South Dakota

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 22nd, 2015 18:00

Worked for me - everything appears to be working fine.  Thanks.

Is there anything else I should do after clearing the BIOS?

Nope, you should be all good...

3 Posts

August 14th, 2014 19:00

Talked with Dell and they want $365 for a replacement motherboard kit and if I only order the motherboard itself, it is still $150.

Now I'm not sure what to do... This is the first Dell that I have ever owned and after the experience that I have had with this one I most likely will not own another. I might be wrong, but I was expecting more than just 18 1/2 months of use from a higher end desktop machine that I bought.

Any thoughts from the experts? Cut my losses and get a new machine and scrap the Dell? Or is there a non-Dell motherboard that I could buy and put into my XPS 8500 case and make things work? Thanks for any help you might be able to give me!

3 Posts

August 18th, 2014 08:00

Still no help from anyone? :(

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 18th, 2014 09:00

mrweller

Best to use the Dell OEM motherboard, if a non-Dell retail motherboard is installed, you will need to buy a new copy of windows with a COA, as Dell's OEM copies are embedded in the Dell motherboard's BIOS.

Before 'scrapping' the Dell 8500, first check the cost a replacement system, because replacing the motherboard usually costs less than buying a replacement computer, providing there are no more issues to fix. 

But, if the repairs cost more than 1/3 the cost of a new computer of the same configuration, then personally I would think about buy new system.

Also, you seriously should consider, when buying a new system, an extended warranty

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 18th, 2014 13:00

Before buying a new motherboard, try clearing BIOS which has solved similar problems with other systems:

1. Power off and unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!)
  6. Close up and see if it boots with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 19th, 2014 00:00

The ONLY response I get when trying to power the computer on is that the fan in the PSU and the fan on the back of the case surge momentarily and go back to a stop. They don't even make a half of a revolution and that is all I get.

That sounds like something is shorting. You might try disconnecting all non-necessary components, like the front USB ports.

As for a replacement motherboard, you might try one from eBay. That's where I got my XPS 8500 motherboard (which I installed in an aftermarket case).

Regarding Windows, if you have version 7, you can activate it on a non-Dell motherboard by using the product key on the COA. The OEM license allows you to replace the motherboard with a similar unit, for reasons of repair. However, the XPS 8500 front panel wiring is different, so I'd suggest getting a genuine XPS 8500 motherboard, if only for ease of installation.

14 Posts

July 24th, 2015 20:00

Hello MRWELLER:

Could you tell me please what did you do with your xps 8500? because I have the same issue.

I thank you in advance for your response

Sincerely Rodrigo

1 Message

August 22nd, 2015 09:00

Worked for me - everything appears to be working fine.  Thanks.

Is there anything else I should do after clearing the BIOS?

1 Message

February 29th, 2016 13:00

thanks, Ron - worked for me - although I need to do this now every time I want to use my PC:emotion-42:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 29th, 2016 14:00

thanks, Ron - worked for me - although I need to do this now every time I want to use my PC:emotion-42:

Have you replaced the motherboard battery?

No Events found!