Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 23rd, 2008 02:00

Error initializing PCI Express NIC bridge. NIC Failure

I started getting the above error message on a continuous basis and was unable to get on to the internet. I try the procedure that Dell technical support (Journal ID: 08204CXS35, Article 290858) had and it work one time. I installed an ethernet card so that I can get on the internet but I still get the error message when I boot up. I tured off the onboard NIC at the bios but I still get the error message. Does anyone have a solution to this problem.

Thanks    

14.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2008 11:00

the message could be left over in the Bios and might need to be cleared. you can boot into the bios and go to the error message log section and delete any messages that are there

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 15:00

I tried your suggestion and it did not work. Do you have any other suggestion. The cpu I have is a Dell XPS Dimension 9150.

2.8K Posts

July 23rd, 2008 19:00

Bronxman,

Having encountered that error myself on a number of Dell systems in the past & using the article you referenced to fix it I'd say that if the error persists the integrated NIC has most likely failed. If you really disabled it in the BIOS then you definitely shouldn't continue getting the message. There could be some sort of BIOS corruption at play. To rule that out you could either reset the BIOS using the jumper on the motherboard or pull the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes then reinsert it or flash your system's BIOS to the latest version.

3 Posts

July 24th, 2008 00:00

Your soulution worked !!! I updated the bios and the error NIC message is gone.

Thank you for all your help.

2.8K Posts

July 24th, 2008 01:00

Glad to have helped get it fixed! Smiling

2.8K Posts

July 29th, 2008 22:00

Tom017,

I'd guesstimate that I've run into this problem somewhere between 8 and a dozen times. The procedure in the Dell article fixed the issue in every case so it does work even though it didn't work for you. There are exceptions to every rule.

A possible workaround in your case would be to disable the integrated NIC in the BIOS & get yourself a PCI network card to replace it.

1 Message

July 29th, 2008 22:00

I tried everything to fix my NIC Failure error with this Dell approved procedure, too...it doesn't work!!

I have a Dimension 8400 that worked admirably until my secondary hard drive died--it happens. I replaced the drive, it caused a few reboots, now the NIC card failed and I can't get on the network or web.  I updated the BIOS to version A09...I cleared out the BIOS error log full of NIC failure errors...I took the battery out to reset the BIOS.  I unplugged the PC and reset the BIOS with ALT-F like Dell said to.  Any other suggestions?  

If you say replace the motherboard, do you know realize I could buy a new PC for the same or less cost than a new motherboard for this PC?

I'm reading the hundreds of entries about failed attempts to repair this error on Dell's site along with Google and Yahoo. Apparently this is a known issue that isn't being resolved. 

Failure is not an option--not on a Dell PC!!  I'm very open to any repair procedures.

2 Posts

November 21st, 2008 08:00

Bronxman:

Where did you find the journal id that you referenced?  Can you forward it to me?

Brian

2 Posts

November 21st, 2008 09:00

The Namek:

I am having the same NIC problem but have not been able to find the article that you reference above.  Do you know where I can get a copy?

Brian

1 Message

December 12th, 2008 08:00

If you still need this, try the following URL:

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/dsn/en/document?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&docid=FD0C567E6DF8A406E030030ABD620B5B&journalid=5DAE870A8C3D7A93E040AE0AB7E14599&Query=UENJK0V4cHJlc3MrTklDK2JyaWRnZQ==&SystemID=PLX_PNT_P4_SX280&ServiceTag=7FBSS71&contenttype=-1&os=-1&component=-1&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=false

1 Message

May 27th, 2009 14:00

My Dell 720 XPS had this error "Alert! Error initialising PCI Express slot 2".  F1 to cont, and F2 for something else.

I have 2 GeForce 8800 graphics cards and when it happens they make a lot of fanning noise that is not normally present. Dell suggested reinstalling Vista. But a search on the web says this is a BIOS thing not Vista...??

This happened about 8 months ago, Dell replaced the graphics cards, it came back within a week or so, then they replaced the motherboard and both graphics cards.  All fine for the last 8 months.  Then it happened again yesterday.  Dell was on the phone for HOURS with me, getting me to remove one then the other card to see what was what, such a waste of time.  I knew it was the same as last time, I knew it was the cards fans, and not another fan elsewhere.

They are sending out 2 new cards and a bridge thing tomorrow, but is this going to keep coming back, is a Vista reinstall a fob off, to just try that?

What is the BIOS to sort this out?

A history of exactly what happened yesterday.  I wake up, turned 720 on, used internet, put it to sleep, came back to it half hour later and it was on, saying it had recovered from a BSOD.  After that my internet connection was gone, my Thompson USB dial up broadband connect was broken and the fans were off on their noisy way. 

The error message doesn't always appear, but the fans were always noisy!!

At this moment I have the 720 purring away on one 8800 graphics card, like a beauty.  I am tempted to put the 2 new ones in and see what happens, but if one works just fine... I don't do video editing or play games, just Photoshop etc.

Anyone else had this and know what exactly to do?? Edit -  This is not, or does not appear to be a NIC problem, whatever that is!

Can you help?  If you need more info, please shout.

Thanks in advance!

1 Message

March 7th, 2012 17:00

I have a dell gx260 with bios version A09 and when i plug in an ethernet cable it will not allow me to connect to the net. I have checked the bios and in the boot sequence it says Integrated NIC (disabled). but when i go to integrated devices it is turned on. for some reason it thinks its disabled. ive cleared the message log and everything but cant find a solution to the problem.

No Events found!