Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 2nd, 2005 19:00

GX200 BIOS UPDATE

hi all im trying to update bios to install new ram. i,ve down loaded bios update A05 from dell but each time i try to put it on floppy i get this;  16bit MS-DOS SUBSYSTEM

C;\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe

C;\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT
The system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows applications
Choose "close" to terminate the application
can anyone help or advise me in plain english    many thanks
ps. running windows xp  .

March 5th, 2005 13:00

can any one tell me wot im doing wrong   why cant i up grade my bios

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 5th, 2005 19:00

@annaengland wrote:
hi all im trying to update bios to install new ram. i,ve down loaded bios update A05 from dell but each time i try to put it on floppy i get this;  16bit MS-DOS SUBSYSTEM

C;\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe

C;\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT
The system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows applications
Choose "close" to terminate the application
can anyone help or advise me in plain english    many thanks
ps. running windows xp  .

YOU CANNOT RUN BIOS UPDATES FROM A DOS WINDOW.

You must BOOT FROM A DOS DISK.

in XP open the My Computer Icon.

Right Click on the floppy and do FORMAT
Make sure you check the box that says MAKE MSDOS STARTUP DISKETTE.
Then save the bios update program onto the disk.

Then run it after booting from the disk.

March 6th, 2005 13:00

having made a dos start up disk and then saved the bios updated to it . i restarted pc with disk in floppy but all i get is  A:\>     i enter file name  (BGX20005.exe)   and i am then told "THIS PROGRAM CANNOT BE RUN IN DOS MODE"  can anyone help and tell wot im doing wrong.  many thanks

March 6th, 2005 18:00

Create the bootable floppy as SpeedStep advises.  Then, with the floppy in the drive, run the BGXxxxx program from the hard drive.  It will prompt you and create a set of files on the floppy disk.  When complete, boot from the floppy to the A: prompt.  Look on the floppy for the "file name.exe" (it won't be BGXxxxxx) created by the BGXxxxx program (use "dir" to find it), and run that. 

March 6th, 2005 19:00

thanks all for your help   updated bios and installed new memory and all working fine

• 

25.1K Posts

August 21st, 2021 20:00

Hi there, We want to make sure your system is working fine and hence following up. Having said that, we do not want to disturb you with numerous messages. We will wait to hear from you to continue the conversation.
No Events found!