Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 01-05-2015 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

OptiPlex 9020, Intel HD Graphics 4600: Display Port Insanity...

Hi folks, Happy Newest of Years to you...

So, after our firm purchased many OptiPlex 9020s with Intel HD 4600 cards in them, we are having serious issues with the Display Port output:

Every sleep and power management setting is tweaked for these machines never to go to sleep, never hibernate disks and never stop displaying, yet they invariably do stop outputting graphics, have no idea why. You'll return to a conference room to find that, after someone has shut a display off, the Dell machine is still on, but has stopped displaying. Turn on the screen: nothing. Have to reboot the PC completely.

We thought there were some hidden sleep or powersave functions in the Device Manager, but all it lists is the 'default VGA adapter'. Is this the overall video card, or is there some odd 3rd party intel interface which we may be missing? Do we need to somehow 'disable' vga (perhaps its choosing vga by default after seeing no display at other end of DP port when screen is off?)

Bascially, we have no way for these to maintain display integrity, any tips or tweaks will be super useful, thank you much for your help.

Cheers,

S.

Replies (4)

Greetings Trupro,

Thanks for your question. Happy new year to you as well.

Is this what your video section looks like in device manager?

If so, then you simply may need to install the Intel graphics driver for OptiPlex 9020.

To answer your question. Pretty much every graphics card will show up as a 'basic VGA adapter' until the driver is installed. So this doesn't necessarily mean that the video card shown only supports VGA connections. It's just showing up that way since Windows doesn't have the driver.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Justin, thanks so much, that is indeed the default view i am getting. This makes sense, i will update them.

Do you know if there are settings for DP within that device setting structure, or possibly other graphics/sleep settings that are not part of the normal power management and display settings which i may be missing? Cant understand why the display output keeps turning off, its somehow losing conneciton with the displays after a few hours, although everything is set to not sleep, etc.

thanks again!

S.

Good morning Trupro,

I'm happy to work with you on this.

Installing the driver will likely resolve the issue: 'the monitors losing connection after a few hours'. If it does not just let me know and I will dig further.

I don't think Windows itself has specific settings just for display ports. If there are any display port specific settings that we could change then they would be inside the Intel graphics utility once you install the driver that I recommended. You'd access the Intel graphics utility by simply right-clicking a blank spot on your desktop then choosing the 'Intel graphics' option(s).

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hey thanks again, the driver update did now reveal the Intel gpu interface you mentioned.

While i could not find any sleep or performance management for the DP itself, i did notice that these cards default to extended desk top. The machines are set up like laptops, probably from a generic build we use or something, and so its set to 'display on both monitors', even though i know the machine only sees one monitor. Ive set to clone-only, and also changed the range to 'full' instead of default. Perhaps this will improve sync and I'll keep an eye on it, thank you again for help Justin

cheers

S.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor