Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

December 13th, 2009 02:00

UPS for an XPS 9000

Has anyone had a success with using a UPS with an XPS 9000?  I've tried 2 different models so far, one from CyberPower and one from APC, both of which have a capacity of 1500 Amps & can supply standard 120 wall current & with neither one will the CPU run off the back up battery. 

We have issues with voltage variations here & I really need to keep a UPS on this system to protect it. Can anyone make a suggestion for a UPS which will be able to run this system for at least 5 minutes (i.e enough time for the software to shut the system down)?

Thanks in advance,

Lil

5 Posts

December 13th, 2009 04:00

Thanks,

Within reason the cost isn't the issue since I want to protect a high cost/heavy use system but the main question is which companies make ups' which comply with this standard?

Dr. Mom

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 13th, 2009 04:00

Many new systems use a different power factor power supply and MUST have a "pure sine wave" output UPS.  The standard UPS systems are not pure sine wave. 

There have been many discussions on this forum about this.  Many newer PC's use the different power supply to conform to European Spec's and rather than use two different types of power supplies they just use the European spec type in all.   Eventually, that will become the standard power supply type for all PC's. 

Unfortunately, the Pure Since Wave UPS systems are higher $$ types.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 13th, 2009 05:00

A google search for "pure sine wave ups" will give you lots of options.

52 Posts

December 13th, 2009 09:00

There are several threads on this subject, especially for the Studio 435T, which was the 'pre' 9000 model.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19276236/19567662.aspx?PageIndex=1

From that thread, according to moderator "Chris":

========================================

Some XPS desktop systems connected to a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), may turn off or drop power when the UPS is running on its internal battery. This issue is noticed with line interactive UPS units that output a squared, stepped approximated, or quasi sine AC waveform while on battery power. Dell recommends to use UPS that output a true sine waveform while on battery power. Some models are suggested below:
APC Smart-UPS 750VA USB & Serial 120V, Part number SUA750
APC Smart-UPS 1000VA USB & Serial 120V, Part number SUA1000US
Dell 2200VA - 120 Volt UPS, Part number GU085
Dell 1500VA - 120 Volt UPS, Part number 2K481 
Dell 750VA - 120 Volt UPS, Part numbers U6829
TrippLite SmartPro 750SLT - UPS - 500 Watt - 750 VA 60Hz AC 120V, Part number SMART750SLT

Chris M

9 Posts

January 8th, 2010 10:00

Hey Lil,

We had the exact same problem, tried different Back-UPS model of APC UPSs with no luck. We got ourselves a SmartUPS 1000, a line interactive unit which outputs a sinewave and we have not had the same problems since. Other posts on this forum discuss this issue and I can attest that you need a unit with a sine wave output. Units with a square wave or a simulated wave will not work properly. We ended up returning our Back-UPS and once we installed the SmartUPS, smooth sailing. Try a Smart-UPS, you won't have any more problems.

No Events found!