Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

April 10th, 2013 01:00

Windows 8 Restore Does Not Work

Hello Dell Community. I am in a bit of a pickle and I need some help. This morning I was checking to see how things work if you wanted to completely restore your Windows 8 Computer if things were to go rogue with your computer or if you were just wanting to get rid of it... no harm in checking as they say. So I went on to restore everything and reinstall windows and I go to next, then all of a sudden I get this error message saying "Missing Media" some files are missing or something, your windows installation should have them. Just wanna know what on earth this means and what do I need in case I actually do have a problem and want to restore my computer to its factory settings.

I should mention that I also had a problem a while ago. I couldn't find any Dell restore utility on my Windows 8 Computer when doing the usual restart and pressing some kind of F button, you know, the usual jargon that you need to do and my computer didn't have that, so I contacted Dell and they said about the whole windows restore thing and now that I have checked it, it just doesn't work. So don't know what to do now... its going to be terrible if my computer actually does have a problem and I can do nothing about it.

Can anyone help me. Thanks alot!

3.1K Posts

April 10th, 2013 05:00

Hi OsirianTheGreat,

If your system was shipped with Windows 8 pre-installed from the factory, there should be a recovery partition present on your system. You can restore your computer to factory settings using the steps below. These steps are only applicable if you system is booting into Windows.
Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well. 

• Point to the right hand corner of the screen to bring up the charms bar.
  • Click Settings.

• Click the shutdown button, hold down the Shift Key and click Restart from the options provided.

• The system restarts, login and click Troubleshoot.

• Click the Dell Backup and Recovery icon.

• The system restarts and comes back up, click Next on the Dell Backup and Recovery Screen.

• The system would be checked to see if the smart repair option can fix the issue, click Next once this is done.

• You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the factory image option or select from one of the backups. Click Next.

• You will be prompted to backup your files, if needed do so by selecting the option Yes, backup my personal files (Make sure to have an external backup hard drive handy.) or select No, Erase my files.

• The system goes ahead and completes the restore of the operating system. Click Restart when prompted.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to setup the system with windows.

Hope this helps.

April 10th, 2013 05:00

Hello Appu. I tried the method you showed me, but there is no Dell Backup Or Recovery on my computer. I also tried restore to factory settings from the Troubleshoot area, but it is still saying to insert a Windows Installation CD or something... it just seems my computer has no way to restore at all... its very frustrating and I don't understand why Dell didn't put anything like this on to my computer

3.1K Posts

April 11th, 2013 08:00

Hi OsirianTheGreat,

If Windows 8 is pre-installed at the factory, the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager is downloaded by default. I do apologize for the inconvenience caused to you due to it's out of character absence.

You may download the Software from the following link http://bit.ly/UUjIs0 . Once Dell Backup and Recovery Manager is installed, you can create the recovery discs which later can be used to restore the system to factory settings.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

20 Posts

April 11th, 2013 09:00

Will restoring Windows 8 fix my non-working DVD/CD-ROM drive?

20 Posts

April 11th, 2013 12:00

I followed the instructions above and did the Dell Back-up and Recovery and got my DVD player working again!

3.1K Posts

April 12th, 2013 07:00

Hi Timcat4843,

Glad that the steps provided above fixed the issue. Do reach out in case you have any further questions.

1 Message

August 14th, 2014 06:00

Hi!

I seem to be having som trouble with my Dell desktop. I cant seem to be able to restore to factory settings using the F key way. It says i am missing a disk or something,, but i have never had a disk? a\Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? It on goes to this screen saying press F1 or F2 then says im missing something!

Thanks in advance!

Tiffany G.

No Events found!