Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

August 4th, 2015 06:00

replacing power supply capacitor

so my OptiPlex 780 sff power supply went kaput and I opened it up to look at the capacitors. I found one that is bulging but it and the surrounding components are covered with this white caulk like material. Can anyone give me any advice how get this capacitor out of this jungle of goo?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 4th, 2015 09:00

Power Supplies are not user serviceable parts.  The energy stored in the capacitors can kill you!

The heart and brain are the parts of the body most vulnerable to electric shock. Fatal ventricular fibrillation (disruption of the heart’s rhythmic pumping action) can be initiated by a current flow of as little as 40 milliamperes. Without immediate emergency resuscitation,
electrical shock can cause fatality from direct paralysis of the respiratory system, disruption of rhythmic pumping action, or immediate heart stoppage. Severe injuries, such as deep internal burns, can occur, even if the current does not pass through vital organs or the central nervous system. Specific values for hazardous voltages and for hazardous current flow through the body are not completely reliable because of physiological differences between people.

There are four principal electrical waveforms of interest that cause various responses to electrical shock;

1.AC power frequencies
2.DC
3.radio frequencies (RF)
4.impulse shock (such as from a capacitors in power supplies)

520 Posts

August 4th, 2015 12:00

I agree. Why mess around with the cheap Dell Power Supply? For a few bucks you can replace with a much better one.

16 Posts

August 4th, 2015 14:00

Dude, Thanks for the warning but I already dumped the juice to those capacitors. Thing is totally cold! Now can you give me some advice?

16 Posts

August 4th, 2015 14:00

Dude, for a few bucks I can replace the bad capacitors, It'll cost over $70 for a new ps on this old OptiPlex. Thanks for the advice but I'm not loaded with money to add new components to a relatively old machine.

16 Posts

August 6th, 2015 06:00

so my OptiPlex 780 sff power supply went kaput and I opened it up to look at the capacitors. I found one that is bulging but it and the surrounding components are covered with this white caulk like material. Can anyone give me any advice how get this capacitor out of this jungle of goo?

So just to close this question, without any help from this forum, and to help any other DIYers that think the scary "no user serviceable parts inside" label is gospel, I include this follow up. A sharp exacto knife and tweezers allowed me to slowly manipulate my way at freeing the offending capacitor AFTER fully de-energizing all the capacitors on the ps. I was then able to de-solder the connections at the board and remove the capacitor. I found a similar sized 10V 2200 microfarad capacitor at my local RadioShack and soldered it into place. Everything went together (I did not re-goo the cap into place) and the ps is working like a charm. $1.57 for the cap and some of my time.

Bottom line is if you know your way around electronics there is no reason to buy a whole new part all the time. Especially when the parts are overpriced Chinese made junk that are built to fail. That goo was primarily put there probably to discourage "user servicing". I don't know about you all, but I've got a real problem with big companies trying to force me to shell out big money to replace their inferiorly built products. If you paid attention in your science classes ( which most Americans fail to do any more) you should know enough about electronics to be aware of the dangers involved and work safely in that environment. It is not quantum physics we are dealing with here. Electronics techs come from all walks of life and if you read and study the material, you can work safely. All these "deadly warnings" are merely to cover these company's legal rear ends and to discourage you, the consumer, from saving money by doing it yourself.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 6th, 2015 08:00

The electrical pathway thru your heart is between your hands.  Thats why the Keep one hand in your pocket rule applies to the voltage stored in capacitors and in the old days Cathode Ray Tubes.  Without knowing your safety knowledge especially for the inside of a power supply there is no way I would attempt to tell you how to fix a broken power supply.   This is not a big company trying to scare you its sound advice for not getting people killed.  Power supplies are not user serviceable parts.

The risk of electrocution and death and any injury liability resides in the hands of the person opening the case on a power supply.

No Events found!