Enterprise Client

2 Iron

No POST video with E6420 docked

With Optimus enabled, there is no video during the POST sequence on a E6420 docked to an EPort+ docking station. This means that users can't enter their hard drive password. The only workarounds I've found is to either disable Optimus in the BIOS or connect a monitor to the VGA port on the EPort+. Is this a known issue that's being worked on?
Replies (25)
4 Beryllium

Thanks for the post Eddie! I haven't heard about this, but will forward it to our support teams for verification.

Thanks,

Warren
4 Beryllium

The support teams have seen this issue. I haven't heard if there is a workaround for it.
2 Bronze

"With Optimus enabled, there is no video during the POST sequence on a E6420 docked to an EPort+ docking station. This means that users can't enter their hard drive password. The only workarounds I've found is to either disable Optimus in the BIOS or connect a monitor to the VGA port on the EPort+. Is this a known issue that's being worked on?"
We've also noticed this issue; when the laptop is turned on while in the dock the external monitors (using DVI) will not turn on until the laptop boots to the Windows 7 login screen.
4 Beryllium

I've heard that the docking issue is addressed with the latest Nvidia driver. We have an A02 268.xx version posted on 6/12 and Nvidia has a 275.xx version on their site. Not sure which addresses this issue, but give them a try.
2 Bronze

The A02 268.xx didn't fix the issue, downloading the 275.xx version new. I'll let you know if it works.
2 Bronze

Neither driver update helped, both external screens stay blank until the windows login.
4 Beryllium

Blackhart6,

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll alert the dev team that the issue is not corrected with a new driver.
2 Iron

Hopefully a driver update can fix it, but I'd be surprised since the problem occurs during POST, when no driver is loaded.
2 Bronze

I agree I believe it's probably something with the BIOS.
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions