Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2022 03:00

Graphics Card Addition

Inspiron 3910

Inspiron 3910

My particular Inspiron 3910 has a 180 watt power supply. I bought it to run a flight simulator called Realflight9.5s which is based on an old 9x format. The integrated graphics of the 3910 is incompatible with this program and I need to add a discrete graphics card. Is the 180 watt Power Supply enough to run the one that Dell recommends or does the power supply have to be upgraded as well. Dell is less than declarative in the charts they publish listing which graphics card with which Inspiron. It would be really appreciated if someone could consider the Dell listed card and issue a simple yes or no answer as to whether the 180 watts is enough to run the below listed Dell suggested card.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 730

2 GB

GDDR5

3 Posts

August 5th, 2022 18:00

Thanks for the response RoHe! I wound up going to a local computer repair shop that has a stellar reputation in my neighborhood. The owner said the 2GB variant of the 730Geforce DDR5 would run on the 180 watts my machine has and he suggested the Asus brand. This particular one has a large heat sink instead of a fan. He told me to order it and bring it to him when I had it. He said I could get it cheaper than he could!

I hope this works!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 5th, 2022 11:00

Not an easy yes/no question.

A retail version of the GT 730 has a recommended PSU of 200W, so your 180 W PSU may be marginal. Check the specs for the specific retail GT 730 card you'd want to buy.

Dell OEM cards typically use less energy than retail cards, so a Dell OEM GT 730 may work, but the cost may be higher. You can contact Dell Spare Parts (1-800-357-3355) to see if the Dell GT 730 will work with your 180 W PSU and ask the price too. Have your Service Tag handy.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 6th, 2022 11:00

Sounds like a plan. 

Be sure to keep an eye on the temps since this card doesn't have a fan, especially when you're gaming...

You could install Speccy (free) and configure it to load when you boot the PC. It can put an icon on the toolbar near the clock which shows your choice of CPU, GPU, or HDD temp all the time and hovering over the icon pops up a box showing all the temps it's monitoring.

Post back and let us know how the upgrade goes...

August 6th, 2022 22:00

Hello there, I am facing a problem with my dell laptop. It is a Dell E7240 model. I want to play the   on my laptop. But the problem is that this game doesn't load on my laptop. what would be the problem? is it a graphics card problem or anything else? 

3 Posts

August 7th, 2022 02:00

I received a communication which won't copy here from the program developer/software marketer suggesting the addition of the Graphics card. I installed an Asus brand card and it is working perfectly. Unfortunately this fix will only work on desk top units and not lap tops according to the explanation they sent me. 

I tried posting the email they sent me regarding this but this forum won't let me copy it to this response.

In my case the problem is the incompatibility of of something called Direct X 9 which my desired program is based on and the 12th generation product produced by Intel that is in my Inspiron. Direct X 9 is very old and hardly used anymore I'm told and the Intel product is apparently not backwards compatible that far. The short explanation is that some software will not run on computers with integrated graphics. They require discrete graphics cards until and unless Intel decides to produce a "patch".

This is really all above my pay grade! I am simply parroting what I was told. I am sure about being told that this fix won't work on lap tops.

Sorry!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 7th, 2022 09:00

@gurusing102  - Hang on here... The game you linked looks like it's an ANDROID game (apk) so it cannot run on a Windows PC.  Your E7240 cannot run Android OS.

Unless there's a Windows version, you'll only be able to run it on an Android phone or on a Chromebook.

3 Posts

August 13th, 2022 04:00

There is no simple answer to this question, and it cannot be answered in a single word.

A retail version of the GT 730 recommends a power supply of 200 W, so it may be that your 180 W PSU is marginal. If you are planning to buy a GT 730 card, make sure you get the specs of the particular card before you buy it.

It is generally true that Dell OEM cards consume less energy than retail cards, so using a Dell OEM GT 730 may work, but the cost may be higher than buying a retail card. For more information on the price of the Dell GT 730, as well as whether it will work with your 180 W power supply, you can contact Dell Spare Parts. Don't forget to bring your Service Tag with you when you go to the dealership. 

No Events found!