Inspiron Desktops

Last reply by 09-02-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Inspiron 3671 won't boot. Constant flashing white light

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 3671 computer and a couple of days ago it just stopped working. There is a white light flashing constantly where the power button is. I can't turn on the computer anymore; it isn't responding. It's a 2.5 year old PC.

I unplugged and replugged. I reset the CMOS on with the jumper on the motherboard. I also took out the CMOS battery, drained the motherboard by holding on the power button for 15 seconds, drained the motherboard by keeping the CMOS battery for 1 hour outside of the motherboard. I also pushed the self-test button at the back of the power supply but it seems to say that everything is OK as the green light is solid. I also unplugged and replugged every component that is powered by the power supply one by one and still the green light was solid on the self-test.

I don't know what to do or try anymore. Could you help me? Is there a solution?

Could this be a motherboard problem?

Thanks! 

Replies (8)
6 Thallium

It could be the pc cannot wake up from sleep/standby state?

what if you press power button and psu self-test button at same time?

blinking white power button led https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-hr/000126021/a-reference-guide-to-the-dell-optiplex-diagnostic...

The computer is in a low-power state, either S1 or S3. This does not indicate a fault condition.

Interesting. The PC was in a sleep state when it stopped working. I was just about to ask you how do I wake him up from the deep sleep state, but then I read the rest of your reply.

Will try that and get back to you. Thanks

10 Diamond

Did you install a fresh battery, rather than just reinstalling the old one?

When you ran the PSU "BIST" test using the button on back of PC, did you actually see the PSU fan start to spin by looking through the holes on the back of the PC? 

If the PSU fan doesn't spin up quickly/properly , even though the BIST LED is solid green (not blinking or flickering), the PSU failed the test.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

The fan spins when I push the self-test button at the back of the PSU.

I also tried to push the PSU self-test button and the power button like redxps630 said but to no avail.

I did not change for a new CMOS battery just took the existing one out and put it back in again.

Funny thing is, I just tried the self-test button at the back of the PSU again and it’s still solid green, but now my power button is flashing amber, either 1,2 or 2,1; it’s kinda difficult to say (it seems to be 2,1 tho).

When I unplug it from the wall and plug it back in, it still flashes white until I do the self-test and then it starts flashing amber.

My PC still won’t turn on…

10 Diamond

First, you need to replace the motherboard battery with a fresh one, if nothing else than to rule it out for ~$2. CR2032 coin cell. Unplug PC and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Remove the old battery, press/hold power button for ~30 sec, and install the new battery. See if it boots now.

You're saying the blink code is either 1,2 or 2,1 amber, correct?

Amber 1,2 = Unrecoverable SPI Flash Failure
Amber 2,1 = System board failure

Neither of those sound good.  If  this PC is still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support for assistance.

Did you recently do a BIOS update, or was one done automatically either by SupportAssist or by Windows Update when you weren't looking? 

Assuming a new battery doesn't solve the problem, you could try doing a BIOS Recovery. Read/follow the instructions carefully.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Sorry for the kate reply but I was off for 3 weeks.

I changed the CMOS battery and it solved one problem : that of the flashing white light.

Unfortunately, I still have the flashing 2,1 amber light. Therefore it means CPU failure.

I don't have Dell Warranty anymore.

Would it still be advisable to attempt a BIOS recovery? Or maybe try to change the CPU to see if that is the problem?

I really appreciate all of your replies and help up to now.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I've just rechecked the flashing codes, and since my Inspiron is a late 2019 version, it appears that the 2,1 amber code is actually for Motherboard failure.

Is it possible to repair the motherboard (because from what I've heard the Windows license is linked to the motherboard)?

Now that I think about it, it makes sense that it was the motherboard. The troubles started when my keyboard died. It stopped working and I think the USB port that was hosting it stopped working as well. I tested the keyboard on another computer and it wasn't workong. So I replaced it. A couple of days after that, the computer wasn't working anymore.

10 Diamond

Did you run the BIST test again after replacing the battery?

2,1 = System board.

Strip it down to bare essentials. Disconnect all drives except boot drive, remove RAM module from second slot from CPU, remove add-in video card, if you have one. Remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall battery, close up and connect monitor to onboard Intel HDMI port, and mouse and keyboard. See if it boots now.

If not, remove remaining RAM module from the board. Close up, connect monitor to onboard Intel HDMI port, and mouse and keyboard. Power on and listen for beeps from inside the PC.  If no beeps, suspect the motherboard...

NOTE: If Dell's warranty expired less than 1 year ago, and you purchased this PC with a credit card, contact your card company to see if the card offers an extended warranty on items purchased with it. Some cards offer to double the manufacturer's warranty up to an extra year, if you're less than 1 year beyond the factory warranty.

You could contact Dell Out-Of_Warranty Repair service, if you want them to diagnose/repair your PC.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor