Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2022 06:00

Problem with SupportAssist

I have an Inspiron 3847. SupportAssist been working fine for years, but now for some unknown reason it will not scan hardware  "hardware scan result (manual) - default scan - error". How can i fix this.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 20th, 2022 09:00

There were some issues with a recent update to SupportAssist that started in last week of May, so that might be part of your problem.

Do you really need SupportAssist? You can go to the Support page every once in a while and enter your Service Tag (don't post it here). The site will show you a list of drivers for your specific PC. If there are any recent ones listed, download them manually onto your PC and then double-click the .exe file to install each new update.

Either way, as long as the PC is working ok, you might want to hold off on trying to get SupportAssist running, at least until the bugs get swatted...

June 14th, 2022 07:00

It stops at 0% for quite a while, then it gives in ..

IMG_0444.jpeg

Could this be the reason, if so how do i stop it ..

"An unexpected error occurred

A task is currently in progress. Wait for the previous task to finish."

ScreenshotScreenshot

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 14th, 2022 09:00

You might need to uninstall and reinstall SupportAssist and/or Dell Update. Manually set a System Restore point first, to be safe...

June 14th, 2022 11:00

Many thanks for your quick response.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled three times, also I have made sure that windows 10 was fully updated.

Its only gone wrong for some reason in the past few days, in that time I have installed DropBox, but I shouldnt think thats anything to do with it, what do you think ??

Sometimes, but not always I get the message ...

An unexpected error occurred

A task is currently in progress. Wait for the previous task to finish.

Then it gives up on hardware scan.

Regards .. Bill

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 14th, 2022 16:00

Can we assume you reboot the PC after you see that error?

Did you install the dropbox app?  Is it set to load and run in background after every boot? In that case, have you tried disabling it and then running SupportAssist?

You could try doing a System Restore using last restore point available before you installed dropbox. Then see if SupportAssist works again, without dropbox being installed.

How are you uninstalling SupportAssist? Sometimes things get left over when SupportAssist is uninstalled that messes up the reinstall. If a System Restore doesn't get SupportAssist working, try using Revo Uninstaller (free) to uninstall System Restore. Then reboot and install it again.

June 19th, 2022 15:00

thank you Ron for your reply. 

still no progress I’m afraid. I’ve tried running it with and without Dropbox installed, it didn’t make any difference. 

also I have uninstalled and installed Dell SupportAssist, with rebooting, still having no effect on failed hardware scan each time. 

im still scratching my head, it was working a week ago, so why not now. 

regards

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

June 20th, 2022 09:00

Follow this Guide from start to end, I have had countless remote sessions with TECH support and this is what they do to fix the issue, 

Follow this Guide from start to end do not miss any steps 

You may find that a few thing I am recommending to delete are already deleted from your computer so skip those steps.  

1 Use Microsoft's Installer : 

This step is crucial as Microsoft's uninstaller disables the services as well. Choose SupportAssist and uninstall, Uninstall Dell updates by running the the uninstaller again. If Support Assist doesn't show in List ignore this step. 

Reboot (important) 

1. Delete following folders and ignore the once which are already deleted. 

C:/ Program Data/ PCDR 

C:/ Program Data/Supportassist 

C:/ Program Data/Dell/Dell data volt 

C:/ Program Files/ Dell/Supportassist 

C:/ Program Files/ Dell/ Dell data Volt 

C:/ windows/Temp (everything inside the folder 

Remove these Registries 

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services key.

Delete Dell hardware service, Delete Dell client management service, Delete Dell updates. 

Open device manager > system devices : If you see 2 Dell dala volt devices, please uninstall the second one. 

Reboot 

install SupportAssist 

2 Posts

July 31st, 2022 08:00

I have tried doing it via the support page and the check for drivers update gets stuck on 90%. Is very disappointing that this is happening with a 6 months laptop. For some reason, I feel the fans are running higher than usual so was thinking an update may fix some bug from a previous bios update. 

image.png

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 31st, 2022 11:00

@alxz777  You can always go to the support site and enter your Service Tag (don't post it here) and it will show you available drivers for you specific PC.

2 Posts

August 1st, 2022 05:00

I did a manual update of the bios to the latest version. After Support Assistant works just fine to scan.

2 Posts

August 7th, 2022 19:00

I've done wut you asked to do and can't install SA

1 Message

October 25th, 2022 18:00

i tried your alternative to just go to the support page and enter my service tag but to my surprise, even in that window, the message is "please wait while support assist checks for driver updates" and then it just runs forever at 0%. any help welcome.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 26th, 2022 12:00

@djbobm  -Did you disable (or uninstall) SupportAssist so it can't load every time you boot your PC?

No Events found!