Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2021 03:00

START PXE OVER IPV4 - Help!

Hi,

I have a Dell inspiron PC with 8GB ram and W10. The machine has been bullet proof.

Recently, I decided to upgrade my RAM from 8 to 16 GB. However, when I tried to boot up I experienced the following message; (Black Screen)

START PXE OVER 1PV4 (and then) START PXE OVER IPV6 (and then) Auto Repair (doesn't repair!).

I removed the new memory but the problem continues.  It is sometimes temporarily resolved by switching off the machine and reseating the original memory card from one slot to the other.

Searching on line for a solution, it has been suggested that changes have been made in the Boot Menu that need reconfiguring or that I should disable IPV4 and IPV6 and that will solve the problem.

I’ve tried both of these options and nothing has worked.

Boot Menu order is; SAMSUNG, Ipv4, Ipv6, Windows Boot Manager.

I don’t know what has happened but I’d certainly appreciate a way to resolve it.

Thanks

Steve

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 27th, 2021 16:00

Sounds like a cable may be pressing against an installed component and unseating it.  Re-seat cards, RAM modules, heat sink, CPU fan, chassis fan, etc. Make sure all cables are fully/firmly connected to motherboard, fans, drives etc, and not hitting any component when the case is being closed.

As for not booting from USB, look in BIOS setup to see if there's an option to allow USB booting and enable it. Then try booting from USB again, just to make sure that will work.

28 Posts

November 11th, 2021 23:00

I have a Dell inspiron PC Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHzwith 8GB ram and W10.

The machine has been bullet proof.

Recently, I decided to upgrade my RAM from 8 to 16 GB. It shouldn't have been difficult. However, when I tried to boot up I experienced the following message; (Black Screen) START PXE OVER 1PV4 (and then) IPV6 and eventually Auto Repair (which didn't work).

I removed the new memory and sent it back, but the problem continues.  It is sometimes temporarily resolved by switching off the machine and reseating the original memory card from one slot to the other.

Searching on line for a solution, it has been suggested that changes have been made in the Boot Menu that need reconfiguring or that I should disable IPV4 and IPV6 and that will solve the problem.

I’ve tried both of these options and nothing has worked.

Boot Menu orders this; SAMSUNG, Ipv4, Ipv6, Windows Boot Manager.

I don’t know what has happened but I’d certainly appreciate an expert opinion and a way to resolve it.

Thanks

Steve

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 12th, 2021 05:00

What model PC?  Always include that on any initial problem post.

IPV is boot over LAN.  In your case its failing to boot the Samsung and thus trying to boot IPV.

Fix the Samsung booting problem.  Whether just reseating the Samsung or at worst replace it.

28 Posts

November 12th, 2021 05:00

Apologies and thank you for your time.

It an Inspiron 3650 - Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2712 Mhz, 4 Core, 4 Logical Processor.

I am tryin to fix the samsung booting problem. Reseating the samung helped initially but the problem came back.

I'm not sure about the need to replace the SSD. Surely there are other options to consider first?

Can you provide any more info please?

Thanks

Steve

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 12th, 2021 08:00

Since this apparently happened after you were inside and upgraded memory I would suspect a cable/connector was unintentionally disturbed.  First thing reseat the data connector for the Samsung at the motherboard end (you say you reseated the Samsung so I assume at the Samsung end).  Check other cables and make sure they are fully seated.

Whether or not related, Windows Boot Manager is my first boot device in the BIOS.

One other thing to try, CMOS Memory reset (hard BIOS reset).  Power off PC, disconnect the AC power cord from power supply, press power button for 10 seconds to drain any residual power.  Open the case and locate the 2032 coin cell battery on the motherboard. Remove battery for at least 5 minutes. Reinstall battery, reconnect AC power cord.  Power PC on and see if this helps.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 12th, 2021 12:00

@fireberd is correct. Windows Boot Manager should be first in the boot list.

Do you know the new RAM module is compatible with both this motherboard and with the original module that's installed?

Fireberd already mentioned it, so have you tried clearing BIOS by removing the motherboard battery and pressing/holding the PC's power button for ~30 sec, with only the original RAM module installed in the slot closest to the CPU?

And what happens if you swap the new module into the 1st slot from CPU and clear BIOS by removing the battery and pressing/holding the power button?

BTW: You may need to install a fresh battery before going too much further....

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 12th, 2021 12:00

28 Posts

November 13th, 2021 04:00

Dear Fireberd,

Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to help me out.

Your email;

Since this apparently happened after you were inside and upgraded memory I would suspect a cable/connector was unintentionally disturbed.  First thing reseat the data connector for the Samsung at the motherboard end (you say you reseated the Samsung so I assume at the Samsung end).  Check other cables and make sure they are fully seated”.

I think your observation is spot on. However, I have never been able to identify which cable it could be. I’ve tried all of them in as much as I can, I wasn’t able to find any rogue wiring. However, I will check the SSD at the motherboard end and see if that makes a difference.

Whether or not related, Windows Boot Manager is my first boot device in the BIOS”.

Thank you, I can reconfigure that. However, the problem does cause the boot order to change. Good to know that Boot Manager should be first though.

One other thing to try, CMOS Memory reset (hard BIOS reset).  Power off PC, disconnect the AC power cord from power supply, press power button for 10 seconds to drain any residual power. Open the case and locate the 2032 coin cell battery on the motherboard. Remove battery for at least 5 minutes. Reinstall battery, reconnect AC power cord.  Power PC on and see if this helps”.

I will try this too.

Thank you again.

I will give these options a try and report back.

All this from simply trying to add some RAM!

28 Posts

November 13th, 2021 04:00

Dear Ron,

Thank you for also taking the time to assist.

Your email;

@fireberd is correct. Windows Boot Manager should be first in the boot list”.

Acknowledged. I will rectify this and see what happens.

Do you know [if] the new RAM module is compatible with both this motherboard and with the original module that's installed”.?

The RAM should have been compatible in as much as I asked the right questions of the right suppliers and got what I thought to be a suitable replacement. However, this was new RAM and the existing was old RAM. I’m now given to understand that I should have purchased 2 identical RAM which should may have prevented the problem.

Fireberd already mentioned it, so have you tried clearing BIOS by removing the motherboard battery and pressing/holding the PC's power button for ~30 sec, with only the original RAM module installed in the slot closest to the CPU”?

I will try this and report back.

And what happens if you swap the new module into the 1st slot from CPU and clear BIOS by removing the battery and pressing/holding the power button”.

When the problem occurred, I sent the new RAM back and just kept hold of the old one.

However, I have found that removing the RAM from slot 2 to 1 or the other way around, will help restart the machine. For a while. Until the problem starts again.

BTW: You may need to install a fresh battery before going too much further....”.

I will get one and report back.

Thanks again and kind regards

28 Posts

November 13th, 2021 07:00

Gentlemen,

May I ask;

Removing the CMOS battery as described hard resets the motherboard/bios back to default settings?

My SSD was installed as a later upgrade.

Will a hard reset cause problems with how my machine is now configured?

Thanks

Steve

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 13th, 2021 11:00

@Art786 wrote:

Gentlemen,

May I ask;

Removing the CMOS battery as described hard resets the motherboard/bios back to default settings?

My SSD was installed as a later upgrade.

Will a hard reset cause problems with how my machine is now configured?

Thanks

Steve

Removing the battery and resetting BIOS will clear out any settings that may have gotten "scrambled" and that forces BIOS to identify all the components that are currently installed.  So it will see your SSD as the installed drive.

You should have the new battery available, so after you clear BIOS you install the fresh one so BIOS will retain the info it gathered when it identified the components.

28 Posts

November 13th, 2021 23:00

Thank you again. I'll get another battery and give it a go. Regards  Steve

28 Posts

November 14th, 2021 23:00

Hi Ron,

Hard reset complete. I've changed the battery and re checked the cables as much as I can. And so far, so goood. Thank you. It is an intermittent problem, so ill kep an eye on it over the next few days and report back with an update. It would be fantastic if this has resolved the issue!

Thank you Ron and also Fireberd for your help and assistance. It is very much appreciated. 

Kind regards

Steve

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 15th, 2021 10:00

Let's hope that's the end of the problem. Post back in a few days and let us know that things are ok...

28 Posts

November 20th, 2021 06:00

Hey Ron,

I was really hoping that this had resolved the problem. And for a few days I thought it had. 

However, this afternoon I switched the machine on only to see it fall back into automatic repair. But the auotomatic repair does not resolve the issue as before.This time around,.I am not getting the IPV4 and IPV6 messages as I disabled them prior to installing a new CMOS battery. One other thing of note and I don't know wther this is coincidence ore not, but the system does not like having windows boot manager is position 1 and won't start (or doesn't appear to) if it is.

However, if I open the machine like before and put Samsung into position 1 (as I did today) it can start up. Either that or reseat the RAM in the other slot. I'm still pretty sure that there are no damaged cables, and I'm not moving the machine when it fails, so I'm still unsure what the problem is.

And all this came from installing and removing some extra RAM! Not sure what to do now, other than leave the machine permantly switched on.

I'd really appreciate another suggestion if you have one?

Regards

Steve

No Events found!