Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 1st, 2022 10:00

7577 NVMe drive not recognized

I am attempting to clone then replace my Crucial brand M.2 SATA that has my OS and associated files with a Hynix brand NVMe SSD.  I have the Hynix NVMe in a compatible enclosure than can read the 2280 drivers with a USB and USB-C connection.  No connection cable or port allows the new NVMe drive to be recognized by Windows.

I am only using the Hynix because I got a much better deal than the Crucial SSD, with equal capacity that shows to be compatible with the 7577:

Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe M.2 2280SS Gen4

SK Hynix platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 Gen4

I was informed the 7577 can't read "Gen4" NVMe, but I am sure this is not accurate since Crucial has always been accurate in their compatibility information for me.  My primary goal is to avoid a complete re-install and instead just clone using Macrium Reflect and replace the older SSD, but unfortunately I can not access or format the new Hynix NVMe to do either process because my 7577 won't recognize it.

I have no idea if I am in RAID or AHCi, but I assume RAID since I am sure it's in default Dell mode.  Does RAID or AHCi impact the ability to read a new NVMe drive in an enclosure?

Any ideas?

24 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 06:00

Ok here was my solution:

Use a different brand PC to format the drive.

The normal non-powered enclosure was useable and plugged into an HP laptop without issue.  The NVMe was recognized and I was able to reformat it.  Once I did this my Dell 7577 still did NOT recognize the drive but Macrium Reflect software did.  

I started to clone the drive, then cancelled at 2% as a test, and as predicted the Dell 7577 could now see the empty NVMe but only after Macrium Reflect accessed the drive.  What the h ell Dell?

Cloning went smoothly, I was able to clone the NVMe, install it and boot as if it were stock from Dell.

As an additional note I tested a WD-Black 5TB HDD and sure enough the 7577 doesn't see it.  I plug into the HP, and it can see it.  Once I reformat on the HP I can then attempt a clone(cancelling once the percentage bar starts) using Macrium Reflect on the Dell 7577 and the drive is now recognized by the 7577.

Unfortunately the only way I know now to use an external drive in my Dell is to use it on an HP first.

24 Posts

December 1st, 2022 11:00

The enclosure is new, and shows to read the 2280 NVMe drivers.  Its not a SATA only adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Z5ZNJNP?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 

The system "chimes" when I plug in the adapter/enclosure with the drive installed.  No "chime" if I plug in an empty adapter/enclosure.  Nothing else happens after that.

I can't use Macrium Reflect on this drive as the drive never appears, anywhere.  It's as if it was never plugged in.  So far I either have a Dell recognition issue, or a bad SSD right?  I assume there's a higher chance I need to alter something to get my 7577 to "see" the new SSD.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

December 1st, 2022 11:00

There are several possible issues.  First is that new drives arrive blank, with no partition on them.  Windows cannot use a drive that hasn't been partitioned and formatted. 

Does the system recognize the USB adapter?

Is the enclosure new or have you used it before with the other drive?  These enclosures are generally either SATA or NVMe -- they do not support both drive types.

You actually do not need to partition/format a new drive to use Reflect to copy to it.

Another possible issue with the drive may come after cloning -- some older IRST implementations (RAID, that is) will have trouble with 2T or larger drives -- in which case you may have to set the system to AHCI rather than RAID.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

December 1st, 2022 12:00

It sounds like the adapter is the problem.  It may be drawing more power than a single USB port can supply.  Two solutions to that:  if you have a powered USB hub, connect the drive to that, and then the hub to the system.  Or, if you have a Y cable (two system-side USB connectors, one drive-side) use that.

Many of the newer NVMe drives draw a substantial amount of power -- it may be that's the issue.

24 Posts

December 1st, 2022 12:00

I will have to go get a powered USB interface.  This adapter runs other NVMe drives just fine, and has a fan even, but maybe the Hynix draws more power than other NVMe drives?

24 Posts

December 1st, 2022 16:00

Tried with a powered USB while plugged into the wall.  Same chime, no SSD.

It recognizes the USB hub: USB Drive (E:) only if the NVMe is NOT inside the enclosure.  Once the NVMe is installed into the enclosure the USB hub itself disappears and is no longer recognized.  All I get is the audible chime.

This applies to all 3 Dell computers I have tried this on. 

1 Message

December 29th, 2022 17:00

Hello i am having the same problem have you found the solution

No Events found!