Start a Conversation

Unsolved

7 Posts

January 1st, 2022 13:00

BSOD Reference_by_pointer since the beginning

Hello,

I have a new Dell Inspiron P106F PC that I bought a few weeks ago.

I switched it to Windows 11 (offered by Windows Update right away) immediately when I got it.

I notice recurrent BSODs and I am unable to identify the source or the trigger (I feel like it happens when I listen to music on Deezer or a video on VLC but it only happens from time to time; I could watch several episodes of a sitcom without anything happening recently).

The error message is REFERENCE_BY_POINTER. By inquiring on Microsoft's forum and elsewhere, I understood that it was often a driver problem.

However, my drivers are up to date. I tried to uninstall (with the DDU utility) and reinstall the driver of the NVidia card installed on my computer. I have updated but nothing to do.

Can you help me to find the source of the problem, knowing that the information I found on the BSOD is systematically the same?

According to the elements I could glean from the analysis made by Driverscloud.com, the "source of the crash" would be on the file ntoskrnl.exe+4159C0 (which, if I understand well, does not say much, since it is a kernel file).

Thanks in advance for your help

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

January 1st, 2022 16:00

See if going back to Windows 10 solves this problem.

7 Posts

January 2nd, 2022 01:00

@nyc10036 > I can't. During the first time I used my PC, everything was normal so I cleaned the disk with the cleaner intergrated with Windows. Anyway, I hope to be able to use Windows 11 on this computer, which is newer and more powerful than the other PC I have.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

January 3rd, 2022 19:00

Perhaps try a clean installation of Windows 11 .

Also, if you have done not so, I would run Dell Diagnostics.

7 Posts

January 7th, 2022 03:00

I would prefer not to have to do a complete reinstallation. I have a lot of software installed on this computer and it always takes me around 1-2 days to reinstall everything. I would prefer to reserve this option only if there is no other solution.
Regarding Dell Diagnostics, I did it, in advanced mode, and it did not show any errors.

1 Message

March 10th, 2022 03:00

i had this BSOD issue also, "REFERENCE BY POINTER"

turns out the issue was the Dell SupportAssist crashing my system - had to get tech support to remote access and remove all instances.

1 Message

April 2nd, 2022 23:00

Hi....

My situation is exactly the same.

Don't want to waste time with a computer I will never be able to trust.

It seems it is quite a common problem, and also it seems there is no easy way to solve it.

Really ?

I can trash this new laptop and buy another brand ? Seriously ?

7 Posts

April 3rd, 2022 05:00

Actually, I must recognize that there was probably a driver problem, so no, don't throw your computer ;).

I don't know what driver was the problem but after a complete reinstallation of the system (with applications and files erase), I no longer have these BSOD.

Beware of the drivers you install when you reinstall them : some of the drivers proposed for your computer may not fit your specific configuration.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

April 3rd, 2022 07:00

I had a similar problem with my Vostro 5502.  Turns out it only happened when running on battery.  Plug in the power cord and no more BSOD's.  Made me think is was a power management problem so I tried to update Dell Power Manager but got errors and the update crashed.  A little more digging and it turns out that the HPScanDoctor service was preventing the update from completing.  HpScanDoctor was installed with my HP printer drivers.  Once I disabled the HPScanDoctor service I tried to update Dell Power Manager and it ran for longer but crashed out with an error that mentioned something about a conflict with the My Dell app.  Apparently the My Dell app was updated and now includes the functionality of Dell Power Manager.  So I removed Dell Power Manager and everything works properly now.  The last step was to go back into services and start HPScanDoctor and set it to auto.  No more BSOD's.  I was pulling my hair out for a month trying to figure out the problem.

1 Message

June 27th, 2022 14:00

Removed the Dell Support assistant from the registry and then the drive and so far so good.  Also had to remove the services entry first before I could just delete the folder off of the C drive.  Not sure why it isn't playing well with windows but it isn't.  Hopefully no more BSOD's!!!

3 Posts

June 29th, 2022 10:00

I had the reference by pointer stop code BSD start occurring shortly after I received my new XPS8940 in October 2021. After disconnecting an old USB card reader, it happened much less frequently. Recently, it started happening very frequently. I started timing the events and found it happening every 32 minutes +/-. After some online research (tricky with the constant BSD's), I found the recommendation to remove all of Dell Support Assistant using Revo Uninstaller. For the first time since it was new, it runs reliably all day.

Hard to believe that the problem was Dell support software, but there it is.

2 Posts

July 8th, 2022 14:00

I just wanted to take the time to say thank you for this post. I have been going crazy, almost ready to throw my laptop out the window trying to figure this out. I had made it as far as figuring out that my crashes were exactly 34 minutes apart. Other than that, I was stumped. I had reinstalled every single driver possible, and had gone down almost every avenue I could think of; except uninstalling Dell's garbage software. After removing all traces of Support Assist (which Dell actually updated when I contacted them for help), I managed to go more than 34 minutes (40+ now) without a crash.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

July 13th, 2022 00:00

A bug in Windows or a device driver can cause a reference_by_pointer BSOD. To overcome this issue, you’ll need to make sure your system files and drivers are up-to-date using the Windows Update system.

1. To begin, right-click the Start menu and select Settings to open Windows Settings.

1. In the Settings menu, select Update & Security Windows Update. Windows should check for updates automatically but, if it doesn’t, select Check for Updates. Select Install Updates if any updates are available for you to install manually.

1. Allow time for Windows to download and install the new updates for your system. Once this is complete, restart your PC to load the new updates and drivers and complete the process. You can quickly do this by right-clicking the Start menu and selecting Shut down or sign out Restart.

1 Message

September 1st, 2022 01:00

I had the same issue until it drew me crazy. it is the dell support assistant clashing with your windows 11 drivers. Probably because we installed windows 11 too early- or atleast thats what i did. installed through insider program.

the only fix i could do is to reset the pc to factory settings and return to windows 10 update to the latest version (one update takes about 2 hours and so be ready to leave the laptop until it is updated. will appear stuck when you try to restart as the update requires restart and then remains in the same screen for hours). then download the windows 11 installer from windows website and upgrade. happy days. no more BSOD

2 Posts

October 7th, 2022 12:00

• BSOD Reference_by_pointer since the beginning. MY PROBLEM WAS DELL SUPPORT SOFTWARE!!

My XPS 9570 had recurrent episodes of epidemic BSOD much as described above, currently shutdowns every ~34 minutes. After significant effort over 2-3 years, hours on the phone with Dell in the past few days, this thread saved what remains of my sanity and my wallet. After removing all Dell Support Assist software from my computer with Revo Uninstaller, as suggested in this DELL COMMUNITY THREAD, I'm sitting here basking in the glow of a computer that hasn't shut down in the past 3 hours, a 2022 record for me. Hopefully not a premature celebration... but I just couldn't wait.

WHY DOESN'T DELL KNOW THIS and fix it?

2 Posts

October 15th, 2022 12:00

My WIN 10 Pro Inspiron 16 7610 as far as I can tell has had this issue from the beginning or very shortly thereafter (possibly updates through Dell or WIN updaters soon after initial setup).   I purchased this machine for my photography hobby last year and installed all the needed $$oftware and some needed extra RAM to begin using in DEC and that is when I see the first few BugCheck 1001 entries in my System Log.   At this time my SSD shows I only have 59 hours on the machine - many of which spent redoing work or attempting to diagnose cause of this issue, so I haven't used it much, until the last 2 month after shooting a few airshows with thousands of photos to edit.  I recently called Dell Support on the last few days of my 1yr warranty and gave them the info I had accumulated from my hours of testing.  I told them 34min between BSOD (as you all have seen also) and I can get machine to run for as long as I want without issues if I don't have an internet connection connected .... either by one not being available when WiFi is turned on, or by turning off WiFi when I am at home/office where I have an authorized connection.  I knew it pointed to something attempting to report out (Dell Diags, McAflea, Adobe CC Update Manager, Big Brother Tracking, etc) and since a friend a few states away had the same problem a few years ago and boxed her new desktop machine back up after hours of DELL Support calls and replacements because of sanity and work losses due to the regular BSOD's, it must be DELL related.  She did not have any non OutOfBox S/W than browsers but had to be online all times for her work.  She has worked from home since it was cool to do so .... before required to do so!

I want to thank you guys, I will remove that Dell software and hope to have the success you all have had ...  keeping My $100 to 200 for the unneeded warranty extension, since their answer was me to do a wipe and reload to Out Of Box as the DELL fix for this, which any 30 year tech like myself can figure out how to do for Zero $.  I guess the reason I don't have this issue on my Latitude is that it is a refurb with a clean WIN 10 Pro install without all the DELL software.  

BTW ... I didn't go to WIN 11 because Creative Cloud was not ready for that OS near end of last year I was told .... and since I don't really like the look of 11, I will have to go with the original 11 Look n Feel OS and learn OSX for my next Photog PC and get a MAC.  Hopefully by then my non Adobe photo software will all be MAC capable.

No Events found!