Inspiron

Last reply by 10-03-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Can't Update BIOS

I have a dell Vostro 14-3468.

The current installed version of BIOS is 2.3.0

But newer BIOS versions have been released and I can't install them.

I have tried manual Install, Using Support Assist and even FreeDOS, but i failed every time. The BIOS install screen simply just doesn't occur.

Is there anything I can do to update my BIOS..

Replies (12)
Community Manager

Are you trying to install the latest version 3.7.0?

Try to install a previous one to check if the issue will remain: 3.6.0

DELL-Nathalia M
Social Media Support, Community Manager
#IWork4Dell

(If this reply helped you solved the issue, please remember to click the option Accept as SolutionSe a resposta recebida ajudou você a resolver o problema, lembre-se de clicar na opção Aceitar como solução.)

7 Thorium

You are trying to jump 7 versions to get to the newest. Try updating them in order starting with the version that comes after 2.3.0, which is 3.0.0. If you get an error, post that error or screen here on the forum. This page should help. Also this page as well. One question though, do you have BitLocker enabled? 

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built with GIGABYTE B560M DS3H AC budget build with an i3 10100
Real work on a Latitude E5430

I even tried 3.4.0 but none worked.

Ok... So i tried to install the 3.0.0 version both in windows and using FreeDOS, I failed both times.

There isn't any sort of error or anything, when laptop restarts to install the bios update it boots as if there isn't anything to install(BIOS Update) and simply loads the windows.

Another problem with my laptop which I think maybe interfering with the BIOS update is :

"2 years ago something happened to my laptop, when ever I press the power button to start it, the screen stays black for 36 seconds, even though the hard disks and fans start spinning immediately after the button is pressed and the boot starts after about 36 seconds have passed (Laptop works perfectly fine except for this problem). The BIOS also stopped updating right around that time. I think these two are related."

Anything I can do to fix these problems? Is the reason of delayed boot a hardware problem or what? 

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

You can also try this:

• Enter the BIOS menu (by pressing F2 during the boot-up process);
  • Once in the BIOS reset your custom BIOS options;
  • Then verify if the date and time are correct and change any other needed BIOS menu options for your normal configuration;
  • Restart the system.

Try to update the BIOS now.

If it doesn't work, try the BIOS recovery

DELL-Nathalia M
Social Media Support, Community Manager
#IWork4Dell

(If this reply helped you solved the issue, please remember to click the option Accept as SolutionSe a resposta recebida ajudou você a resolver o problema, lembre-se de clicar na opção Aceitar como solução.)

So I tried the first method but still couldn't install.

As for the second solution, the BIOS recovery screen just won't open. The laptop starts but the screen remains off and then laptop turns off.

I suspect its a faulty BIOS chip, what do you say about it? Can it be replaced?

Yes, it can be replaced by a repair shop that can do soldering (i.e., not Best Buy, etc.).  That said, the boards for this system appear to run in the $150-200 range -- which is probably less than the cost to have the chip replaced.

So the problem is a faulty BIOS chip then?

I will most probably visit dell service centre and consult them

If the system isn't running, possibly.  If it does boot and run as is, it's still possible, though less likely and probably should be left as is rather than forcing a flash that may take the system down permenently.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor