Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

V

1 Message

January 6th, 2022 04:00

Cursor shaking and trackpad not responding properly

I have a issue with my new Dell Inspiron 14 5410 2in1 laptop,
The cursor on screen keeps shaking, also while scrolling with two fingers on trackpad the response is full of errors like it responds with command of using three fingers while using only two fingers to scroll.
Also the track pad sometimes stop responding.

Can anyone here help me on it already tried with Dell Customer support it was the worst experience i had been through.
The executive didn't respond after real long wait.

VikasV10_0-1641471884337.png

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

January 7th, 2022 04:00

Adjust Your Settings

Head to Settings > Devices > Touchpad and change the touchpad sensitivity. In addition, you might want to turn off the tap-to-click features, or the lower-right-corner feature that comes enabled by default.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 13th, 2022 05:00

You may want to run through SA updates and see if they will resolve the issue.

October 4th, 2022 00:00

You need to check updates and if found just update i was facing same issues and it worked perfectly.

1 Message

September 11th, 2023 03:20

I am having this problem to, it is consistently unresponsive when scrolling through a large pdf. My friend and I bought the same laptop and his works much better and faster than mine so maybe a few unlucky people received defective products. My drivers are fully updated and I have no intensive programs running in the background when I look on task manager.

1 Message

December 17th, 2023 00:28

Same thing has been happening on my Inspiron 16 7620 since it was new. Dell customer support was incredibly painful to deal with, but after months of back and forth, they had me send the laptop back so they could replace the touchpad hardware. After the laptop came back, it was fine for a couple of months, then it started acting up again.

At first, it was just once every few weeks. But in the last week, it's doing it almost non-stop. The problem goes away briefly now and then, especially if the computer has been sleeping with the lid closed and then I use it again. But before too long, the touchpad becomes unusable again.

I suspect it's not really a hardware problem, and that the service I received "fixed" the problem only because it forced me to reset the software on the laptop. Which implies something happened recently that has reintroduced the problem, but of course I have no idea what, and Dell's customer support is so incredibly awful, they apparently have not bothered over the years to figure out what keeps causing this on customer's computers and so still can't provide a useful solution.

But honestly, I don't really know, because I've also seen the touchpad misbehave while in the BIOS settings UI, not running Windows. I've never seen a hardware problem come and go like this, nor deteriorate progressively like it is, but who knows? Obviously, not Dell.

I'd guess that resetting the laptop again would make the problem go away, at least for a month or two. But that's a royal pain, to say the least, if I have to keep doing that every couple of months over the years I would normally expect to own the laptop.

More likely at this point, I will give up on Dell's useless customer support and just sell the laptop (because of Dell's heel-dragging, I'm well outside the regular return window for the store) to someone who is okay just plugging a mouse in, and get a laptop from a different brand, never buying a Dell again.

(edited)

1 Message

January 9th, 2024 04:20

I've had this problem for months, and it doesn't matter whether I use the laptop touch pad or an external mouse.  The cursor is always shaking and the right/left click on the touchpad is WAY off, and infuriatingly sometimes will only open freaking BING which literally almost makes my head explode!  I'll try the tips and see what happens.

(edited)

1 Message

January 12th, 2024 21:26

I have had this problem from day one of buying this Dell laptop. Just today I had to reboot and go to do BIOS diagnostics to make it work, but after little time it starts up again. Everything is updated. When I had contacted customer service, they took me to BIOS and did the diagnostics there, and it helps, but I have to do it over and over again. So frustrating. I don't want to buy another system just because of this. Wish there was an actual fix for this.

3 Posts

January 20th, 2024 21:51

I have had an issue with the cursor suddenly jumping around and randomly clicking on things.  I tried disabling the trackpad.  Disabling the mouse.  Neither helped so I sort of ruled out the hardware at least those two.  The thing that seems to make it go away, and occasionally it recurs, is to just run the Support Assist app.  I run the hardware diagnostic and the problem goes away for a while.  Not sure how long.  I have no idea what that does other that look for new drivers.  But it seems to help at least for some time.  Maybe this will help others with the cursor issues.  

No Events found!