Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2022 12:00

Dell G15 keyboard backlight stopped working.

Dell G15 5515 Ryzen Edition

Dell G15 5515 Ryzen Edition

Last night, my G15 keyboard backlight stopped working suddenly, I couldn't find a fix anywhere, so I decided to make a post in case it happens to anyone else. 

I did a couple of things in an attempt to fix it, but I'm not exactly sure what worked. 

Firstly I tried enabling it from the BIOS (spam F2 on startup to get into the BIOS), but that didn't work.

Secondly, I tried running down the battery to see if it'd fix it, but it's almost impossible to kill it completely.

Lastly, this is what I think fixed the problem. I powered the laptop down by holding down the power button until it shut down, and then I powered it up and booted into the BIOS. I changed the Keyboard illumination(in the advanced tab) from "Disabled" to "Bright", changed the times from 1min to 5mins, and saved & exit from the BIOS. When my laptop was booting back up, I immediately went back into the BIOS(by spamming F2) to confirm my changes had not been reset, and that solved the problem.

Hope this post saves someone the stress.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

October 6th, 2022 22:00

Make sure the Keyboard backlit option is enabled in the BIOS. With the computer powered off, press the power button. Immediately start pressing the F2 key once per second (if the computer boots into Windows, shut down the computer and try again).

4 Posts

February 4th, 2023 09:00

Yeah, it's enabled and still doesn't work... I'm on BIOS 1.19.2 and AWCC 5.5.37.0

February 13th, 2023 21:00

Same problem here…

June 5th, 2023 00:00

Same problem here also. This has occurred many times since purchasing this laptop. Don't not what has resolved it in the past, and yet it has stopped again, seems associated with the laptop hibernating or going to sleep. Checked everything, all drivers incl BIOS up to date, passes hardware diagnostics, haven't installed any software lately (or for a while), tried clean reboot -- nothing has worked!

June 5th, 2023 02:00

From a Reddit thread this worked for me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/108fej9/dell_g15_ryzen_edition_backlit_keyboard_not/

Go to Dell’s official website and download the latest bios drivers. Even if you have the latest version installed - go and download and install it. It should work. Mine does the same but a reinstall of the bios fixes it for me!

1 Message

November 22nd, 2023 22:47

Same problem done everything necessary but it still does not work

No Events found!