Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

2 Posts

March 5th, 2020 06:00

Dell G3 15 plugged in but not charging the battery

Hello.

I've bought my laptop (Dell G3 15) about half a year ago. About a month ago it started to charge only 2-3 seconds than it turned off, again it charged 2-3 seconds and turned off... After 2 week it shows that it's plugged in but not charging at all, only a few seconds after turning on the laptop. I've done a lot of things but nothing helps. Any suggestions? 

5.6K Posts

March 5th, 2020 14:00

Yep, search for Dell's troubleshooting guide for batteries. I don't know the URL offhand.

2 Posts

March 19th, 2020 05:00

I scanned, tested nearly everything what i've found on the internet as solution. Now it doesnt even detect the charger, only for a few seconds when it start to boot. Still no idea how to fix it

March 29th, 2020 21:00

Hey David - 

I have the same Dell laptop and I bought it in Sept 2019 - so a little over half a year ago as well. I am also, just in the past week, experiencing the same problems with the battery. I feel like it isn't old or worn enough to be giving out yet... So no idea why this is starting up. I have not found a solution online despite researching, unfortunately... the only theory I have is maybe the computer pulls from wall electricity when running too long at a high performance - gaming/programs/etc. because it is a lot of work to charge and energize high performance programs at the same time? but that doesnt explain it not recognizing the ac adapter.. mine also flashed me that notification the other day as well. 

2 Posts

March 30th, 2020 00:00

It is a weird issue with charging, it was discussed in this topic and I have same problem. Can dell support confirm it and do something to fix? It is global problem, I heard about it from different people and it is really annoying.

1 Message

July 8th, 2020 12:00

I have the same problem, not recognizing the power cord. I ordered a new battery thinking that would solve the issue but it hasn't.  Installed the Dell battery but it ran out of juice and doesn't charge.  The charging icon shows it plugged in but the lights on the laptop beside the power cord plug do not light up, only once after I plug in the cord.  it flashes  white.  

One other crazy thing is that while I waited for the battery to be delivered, I ran the computer via the power cord without the battery.  It ran a few days then the computer wouldn't boot up.  It only would light up the key board, no fan.  So I tested the bios battery and it was dead, replaced that when I installed the new battery.  The computer booted up but didn't recognize the power cord being connected as mentioned above.  

Any assistance or recommendations would be most welcome. 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 8th, 2020 14:00

It'd help to know what model system you have, but:

1.  Make sure the LED on the adapter is solid ON before you plug in the system end.  If it's not, replace the adapter.

2.  If the system doesn't sense the AC adapter, even if the LED is on, replace the adapter with a new OEM Dell unit.

3.  If that doesn't get the adapter recognized, replace the DC jack in the system.

and if that doesn't work, the charge circuit is bad - replace the mainboard.

2 Posts

July 18th, 2020 07:00

Try changing the battery setting to "Standard".

1 Message

July 28th, 2020 14:00

Hi,

My name is Rahul Gahlot and I have the same issue with my dell G3 3590. I have purchased it in late August 2019. First issue came around November when they took the device to their main Service center in Texas and reported all the internals working fine and replaced the charger. 

The problem again occurred in late December and seemed to go away by itself. In March when I again faced the issue an agent remotely took access of the device and was able to resolve the problem by some changes in the drivers.

I again face the same issue and even after replacing the battery by a dell agent as of this morning it's again not charging. It's absolutely ridiculous in terms of support and responsibility they took for their product.

I'm all ears if anybody here found a permanent solution to this.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

July 29th, 2020 03:00

You may drain the residual power of your computer and re-calibrate the battery by following the steps below:

1. Power off your computer.
  2. Remove all the external peripherals (printers, scanners or any other USB device) connected to your computer.
  3. Please remove the AC adapter and battery of your computer.
  4. Press and hold the power button of your computer for 10-15 seconds to drain the residual power.
  5. Release the power button
  6. Keep the battery out for at least 2 - 3 hours.
  7. Then insert the battery and charge it overnight with the system powered off.
  8. Then power on the computer and see if it works.

1 Message

August 14th, 2020 12:00

Hi David,

You've probably found a solution by now, but just in case anyone runs into this issue I wanted to share what I've done to fix mine. I just purchased my Dell G3 15" about a month ago when all of a sudden it stopped showing that it was charging and would only run on AC power. 

What I did was the following:

• Go into the search bar and type Device Manager
  • Select Batteries
  • You should see two drivers there, Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
  • Right-click and uninstall them both
  • Close out of all applications
  • Shut down your computer
  • Unplug the power from your computer
  • I let mine sit unplugged for a few minutes (don't know if necessary, but won't hurt)
  • Plug power back into computer
  • Turn on computer
  • It will automatically reinstall the drivers for your battery and you should see that it has a x amount of time until fully charged.

Note: the "charging" animation stops a couple of seconds after boot, but that's normal. You'll still see by hovering that the charge time is going down and charging is active. 

Hope that helps you and anyone else running into this issue.

2 Posts

April 29th, 2021 04:00

Hi everybody; 

I have the same problem. I changed the battery and I change de adaptor. But the same problem continues. 

2 Posts

June 1st, 2021 00:00

Thanks mate!!!!

I'm really gratefull cause it helped me a lot.

I was ready to buy a new PC and I hope this solution will last.

It's still such a shame that I had to seek for so long this answer and that DELL wasn't able to help us through!!! Indeed it seems that many of us have the same problem....

2 Posts

June 28th, 2021 00:00

Unfortunately, I have to share that this process is not a solution. The problem is not caused by the windows operating system. Those who have the problem will see that the same problem continues when they enter the bios menu.

1 Message

August 2nd, 2021 16:00

Hozgur88, 

Did you try and this and it didn't hold or work?  How do you know this and I'm no computer expert but what do you mean by when they enter the bios menu?

1 Message

October 11th, 2021 03:00

Hello, There is a Dell Power Manager feature in the BIOS, also available in Windows.

If you look into the settings, you`ll see 5 different BATTERY SETTINGS. Look into the settings and make sure you`ve chosen Standard settings and check if notebook is charging.

The issue is, there is "Custom" and "Primary AC" settings, those are responsible for not charging. If the battery reaches a certain level it won't charge the battery until falls down to another lower certain battery level.

No Events found!