Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

7 Posts

July 30th, 2019 08:00

G5 5587, slow performance on battery

My dell G5 is almost not usable on battery. Not able to play movies, songs over Bluetooth speakers, etc properly. I have already selected "High Performance" settings on battery in Power Plan but still, CPU gets slow to 798Hz from 3989Hz. Please help me out of this. I have also tried to change the processor power management in advance power settings on the battery to 100% percent but still, CPU is running very slow, sometimes reaches to 2GHz but most of the time it stays on 798Hz.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 30th, 2019 10:00

ss_123,

Click the link here for troubleshooting and resolving slow performance. Also, click here to update your system bios to the latest version if you have not done so. You may also try uninstalling smartbyte from the computer as well.

7 Posts

August 7th, 2019 05:00

These are the random solution dell people give whoever raises slow CPU problem. I have seen other threads also regarding this in Reddit and Dell Community. No concrete solution to this problem. Slowing down the CPU during on battery should be as per user preference not by the laptop manufacturer. Consult with your engineers regarding this issue and come up with a fix. Other threads regarding this. https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-G7-CPU-stuck-at-0-8-GHz-on-Battery/td-p/6111521 https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/9bmyem/slow_cpu_on_battery/

• 

16.7K Posts

August 7th, 2019 07:00

SS_123,

I will contact the engineer for information about slow performance.

September 19th, 2019 03:00

We are still waiting for a fix from Dell ...

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

September 19th, 2019 10:00

In GeForce Experience go to the Settings menu then choose Games from the left side.

There should be an option called Battery Boost that allows you to set your maximum framerate.  Have you tried turning this off or upping the max framerate?

Regards,

Adrian

1 Message

October 3rd, 2019 14:00

hey! i finally figured it out!!! After a year or two of being very frustrated and needing to carry my power adapter everywhere. 

Go into your BIOS settings and turn off intel speed shift and intel speed step!!! 

1 Message

March 4th, 2020 04:00

Check Inte Graphic Driver. Try uninstall all Inte Graphic Driver and instal other version.

1 Message

March 18th, 2020 15:00

@juscheng You are the real MVP!!

I just wasted 3 hours with the incompetent Dell Support via ticket 

The tech rep spent a long time trying to tell me that it was a normal behavior, he changed some battery settings in windows and said that I should test it for around 10 days to decide If the problem was still there.

I told him that i was 100% sure the problem was still there and that he was just trying to hang up my call so that in 10 days someone else took the ticket. He said the only solution is to reinstall windows, I was like OK lets go, I am going to do a backup and show you that a reinstall doesn't fix it.

While waiting for the backup I decided to do some last minute google and found your solution!!

Also, I am still waiting to the email that he was going to send so that I could reply and notify when I was ready to do the fresh install.

I am so glad I decided to do one final google search!

And Dell you really need to monitor your tech reps, he was completely denying that I had an issue because the Scan that is executed via support assist said that everything was OK! What a waste of time and patience!!

Adding for google searches:

Dell G5 5587 unusable via battery

Dell G5 5587 really slow on battery

Dell G5 5587 battery problem

May 25th, 2020 04:00

From Bios, disable Intel shift. Keep intel step on so that your CPU can use the Boost mode as well as you can play around with the CPU power via the DELL Power app (Thermal management)

1 Message

July 14th, 2020 13:00

Thank you so much Juscheng! I was about to give up and decided to google it one last time...then I saw your post. You have no idea how badly I wanted to smash my laptop to pieces today during a power outage where every click required a 7 second wait before anything happened. You're a life-saver!!! Thank you.

1 Message

August 16th, 2020 10:00

Hello, I am also facing the same issue in my dell G5 15 5587 Laptop, Can You Guide me Step By Step To Fix This Issue.

Thanks @juscheng 

4 Posts

October 17th, 2020 01:00

Thank you!

I also had this annoying problem. Dell was completely unable to solve it. This is a design problem that should be resolved by dell and after 2 years is still unfixed.

After having a similar problem with a high-class monitor I think that this will be my last dell product.

1 Message

October 26th, 2020 04:00

Make sure the system cooling policy is set to ACTIVE on battery ! or it will limit a lot your performances

To do that go in:
- power option
- change plan settings
- change advanced power settings
- Processor power management/System Cooling Policy

1 Message

November 21st, 2020 22:00

This has been the best amongst all the rest of the solution!

3 Posts

July 31st, 2021 06:00

Thanx juscheng, you are a real saver. Had been desperate to solve this issue for months but dell support . This works well even on my G3.

Still, brightness on my laptop decreases when on battery. Do u guys face the same issue? And any idea how to solve that?

No Events found!