Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 20:00

Headphone jack not working

Inspiron 5570

Inspiron 5570

If I plug my headphones into my computer the headphones are not recognized and the sound keeps coming out of my speakers.  The only way I can get the jack to recognize my headphones is if I restart my computer.

Others have had this problem and one solution that worked temporarily for me was to open Device Manager, go to the Realtek Audio driver, right click and choose disable, then do it again and choose enable.  If I do this, sound emerges from my headphones if they're plugged in or the speakers if they're not plugged in.

This only works once however. Otherwise I have to restart the computer.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Realtek driver.  That didn't help.

I also tried running the Audio Troubleshooter.  That didn't help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

So, the headphones work, the driver works, the speakers work and the jack works, BUT I STILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM. Surely, these symptoms suggest what the underlying problem is and how to fix it.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 4th, 2022 02:00

If you have the Waves MaxxAudioPro utility installed, find it in your apps listing and run it.  The device plug-in recognition is there.

If you do not have it installed, do you know why?  It will either install with the Realtek drivers or might, on some systems, need a separate download from Dell.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

October 4th, 2022 03:00

Your phone's audio jack may be full of dust and debris. To clean it out, blow into the jack or use a can of compressed air to do so. You can also use a cotton swab—apply a few drops of alcohol to the end of one and gently try to clean out the debris.

4 Posts

October 4th, 2022 11:00

Hi,

I have Waves MaxxAudio in my startup folder and it is enabled.  I don't know if that's different than MaxxAudioPro.

Richard

4 Posts

October 4th, 2022 11:00

Hi,

I tried blowing it out with compressed air.  Unfortunately, that had no effect.  If the headphones are working and I unplug them, sound will come out of the speakers.  If I plug them back in, sound still only comes out of the speakers.  I then need to reboot with the headphones plugged in for them to work again.

Richard

No Events found!