Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

30 Posts

November 14th, 2018 17:00

Inspiron 13 7000 (7370) Black / Blank Screen / Display

I have an Inspiron 13 7370 running Windows 10 build 1803.

If the display turns off due to the normal power saving setting, it won't turn back on.  I have to hold the power button down to force the machine to turn off, then reboot it.

This doesn't happen if I initiate a sleep or hibernate action (manually, or by closing the lid).  It only happens when the timer to turn off the display is triggered.  I've tried resetting the power plan to the default settings, but it made no difference.  I'm running the latest BIOS/UEFI version, and I'm running the latest graphics drivers from Intel for the i5-8250U (Intel UHD Graphics 620).

This started a couple of months ago.  The only thing I've been able to do is set the display to never turn off.  When the problem occurs, the keyboard LED lights up, but i can't get the display to come back on, and I can't get the system to rexpond to anything else.  (I've tried running commands with the display off, such as windows+r, shutdown -r -t 0, enter for a restart.  I've tried closing the lid then reopening it to try to trigger sleep mode.  Etc.)

Is this a known issue?  Is there an actual solution?

December 11th, 2018 20:00

I have the exact same problem with a new 7370.  The only difference is an i7 processor.  When new the system did not act this way.  It showed up in the last few weeks, possibly after some Dell or Windows updates.  This is my wife's laptop and she can't remember exactly when it started.  I have updated BIOS, reloaded video driver, checked all the other drivers to make sure they were up-to-date, loaded latest Windows updates, etc, and tried several tweaks on the power management, but to no avail.  Automatic sleep seems to almost always cause this lock state, and can only be recovered by holding down the power button to shut down the laptop.

=====

My response was delayed to holidays travels, gone 10 days without pc.

My BIOS is version 1.12.0.  Windows is version 1809, build 17763.195.

I ran the hardware diagnostics as you suggested, including the extended memory test.  No errors or faults were found.

When I try to wake the system from sleep, the screen is completely blank.

I checked the event manager, and found a number of events.  Here are the events I found:  

Note:  All occurred since 12/8 with the computer not used for 10 days from 12/8 to today

Critical: ID-41 (51 events)

Critical: ID-79 (59 events)

Error: ID-20 (24 events)

Error: ID-53 (26 events)

Error ID-1001 (26 events)

Error: ID-5007 (202 events)

Error: ID-10016 (179 events)

I reset the apps associated with ID-79 events.

I checked again for Windows updates and driver updates.  All are current, except the Network WiFi Driver, which the Dell Support site says needs to be updated, but when I tried to update, the PC says the installed driver is newer than the update one.

After all these checks, I let the system sleep on it's own, and the new events were ID-41, ID-1001, ID-5007, and ID-10016, and the system would not wake from sleep.  As before, the screen was blank, but the power key and other keys were back lit.  I had to do a long push on the power button to get the system to shutdown, and then restart the computer.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

December 12th, 2018 06:00

Thank you for your message. Is the system connected to any docking station?

What is the status of the power button light when you try to wake the system from sleep. Does the power button light blink in a particular manner, amber & white?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

23 Posts

February 15th, 2019 13:00

Have you found any resolution to this? I am having the same issue and it is driving me crazy.

I leave my 7370 laptop plugged in to an HDMI monitor, keyboard and mouse a majority of the time. At night I lock it (WIndows-L) and the next day, there are times that the machine is still running (the fan is running for instance), the power button is lit white, but the mouse/keyboard will not wake up the screen. I end up having to hold down the power button to force it to shut off, and then power it back up again. 

This has been happening for the last couple of months.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 18th, 2019 04:00

What is the BIOS version installed?

Is the system connected to a docking station?

Is both, the notebook screen & the external monitor displaying a black screen?

Have you made any changes to the registry to disable modern standby?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

293 Posts

February 18th, 2019 05:00

If you can, revert back to orig. factory BIOS.  This could be the problem with BIOS updating.  https://www.howtogeek.com/136881/htg-explains-do-you-need-to-update-your-computers-bios/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/258308/should_i_update_my_bios_.html

Just saying.

April 7th, 2019 07:00

I have the same problem. Newest BIOS and drivers. Is there no solution from Dell???

1 Message

April 11th, 2019 11:00

So...just updated using the Dell update manager.  Did a BIOS update, too.  Now all I have is a blank screen with nothing showing.

9.4K Posts

April 12th, 2019 04:00

Hi Erutan409,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Are you able to run systems diagnostics?  Try pressing F12 at startup and run the diagnostics to check for a hardware issue.  Make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Dell PC does not turn on or boot into Windows

How to Fix a Computer that Won't Boot Up

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

1 Message

October 7th, 2019 13:00

Has anyone figured out a fix for this?  If my laptop goes to sleep or if the screensaver turns on the screen stays black and never comes back.  I have to restart the computer for it to work again.  Its so bad that turned off the screensaver when the computer is plugged in and im SOL when i have it on battery.

I have updated everything on my 7370 (windows, bios, every driver, ect) but it still happens.

• 

25.1K Posts

October 10th, 2019 17:00

Hi James, 

How are you? It has been a while, since we have heard from you. I would want to know if you have had a chance to updated the drivers that were suggested by out phone / email support team. We would want to know if this helped fix the issue or if you need any further assistance we with it. We will be glad to look into it and help you if you do. Just waiting for your response. 

-Rohan

October 22nd, 2019 08:00

I have a similar problem with my Delll 7370,has anyone managed to get a solution for this?

1 Message

November 1st, 2019 10:00

I have run all diag. This is happening when ever the lid is closed and then opened. the keyboard is still back lit and the power button is still on. If it is plugged in to a docking station or if its plugged into power I can't replicate the issue. It seems like a hibernation problem but I have disabled all the hibernation settings and it still happens. I have also adjusted all the screen setting so the screen should never turn off but it still does.

1 Message

November 3rd, 2019 03:00

Same over here. Usually the issue appears when the CPU is running something (e.g. Lightroom export), while the screen turns off. Then the system freezes, but the fan is running fast, blowing out warm air. Only way to recover is pressing the power button for long time. The event log does not show anything useful (to me).

If the screen is enabled all the time the system is running stable, and also goes into sleep and wakes up normally.

For me it does not matter if the system is running on battery or power, or if a HDMI screen is attached or not. Drivers and BIOS are on the latest versions DELL offers. I have the problem since a couple of months, driver, latest BIOS or windows changes did not alter the behavior.

1 Message

November 26th, 2019 18:00

I'm assuming no one has found a solution for this yet.  I also have the same exact issue.  I have updated all of my drivers like recommended and am still having an issue.  When I look at the events it seems there is a buffer size error before my screen went black the last two times.  The buffer sizes changed between the two errors but everything else is the same.

The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect function of the "C:\Windows\System32\perfts.dll" Extensible Counter DLL for the "LSM" service. The given buffer size was 19528 and the required size was 40032.

5 Posts

November 28th, 2019 22:00

I have been having exactly the same problem. Have tried all diagnosis and updates and no solution yet. 

How is it possible that DELL does not provide an explanation to this problem that has appeared in so many laptops of the same model?

No Events found!