Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

3 Posts

June 29th, 2022 02:00

Inspiron 15 3567 NVMe upgrade ?

It's the first time in my life that I am so confused. I am pretty experienced in computers in general.

I have a " Inspiron 15 3567" with a factory installed 256GB nvme. I want to upgrade to a larger capacity SSD but

unfortunately the manual states that the max capacity allowed for SSD is only 256GB !?. Is this correct ?

I bought this laptop in 2020 is it possible not to support more than that ? 

dell.JPG

Furthermore this applies to both SSD 2,5" and NVMe ? I cannot figure it out. I though Dell support was one of the best but unfortunately when I  try to sent a ticket support it says I am out of the warranty......for a question ? So I am forced to make a forum post for  simple information. Ridiculous !

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

June 29th, 2022 04:00

Unless you have a different model, you do not have an NVMe drive -- this system supports only one 2.5" SATA SSD or hard drive, plus an optical drive.

Though you can find adapters to mount a second (or the original) 2.5 SATA SSD in  place of the optical drive, you are limited to a 2.5" SATA SSD - you can't use any M.2 (SATA or NVMe) drives.

3 Posts

July 1st, 2022 05:00

Hello,

My laptop as already have mentioned has pre-installed an nvme ssd. My question is if I can upgrade to a larger capacity nvme or at least to a larger 2.5" SSD.

thumbnail.jpg

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

July 1st, 2022 06:00

That is not an NVMe drive.  It's M.2 SATA.  Yes, you can use a larger M.2 SATA SSD (it looks like it's mounted in the caddy for the 2.5" drive) or you can install a native 2.5" SATA SSD of larger capacity.

No NVMe drives are supported in this model at all.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

July 1st, 2022 07:00

Go to Support.dell.com and enter the service tag of your computer. You will find the exact model as well as documentation for it. 

Model Inspiron 15 3567 doesn't support NVME SSD. It only support 2.5 inch SSDs. 

Dell documentation for 256Gb max is what tested by their engineers, yes you can upgrade it, I have tested these older models with 2 TB SSD.

Some one has installed an m.2 SATA SSD in the same mounting. Please make a note that while m.2 SATA and NVME looks the same they are different techs. This is the SSD model installed on your computer. 

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Toshiba-KSG60ZMV256G-256GB-6-0GB-VFR5T/dp/B07SPG9DKG

NVME SSD is not supported on this system. Your option is to Buy a 2.5 Inch SSD. Compared to m.2 SATA, a 2.5 inch will be cheaper and provide same speeds. 

3 Posts

July 1st, 2022 07:00

Thanks you are correct. I tend to call them all NVMe because they look the same. Sorry for the wrong use of the format but still even for M.2 or 2.5" SSD Dell does not state any info.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

July 1st, 2022 08:00

In most of these systems, Dell would have shipped 2.5" SATA hard drives.  Some later ones came with 2.5" SATA SSDs -- and at least in your case, an M.2 SATA drive in an adapter.  While Dell will only quote compatibility with drives it shipped, any capacity M.2 SATA or 2.5" SATA drive that will fit, should work fine.

NVMe drives were limited distribution to non-existent when this system was built - and so expensive that no one would have thought to install one (or support for it) in a decidedly entry-level budget notebook like the 3567.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

July 1st, 2022 18:00

The seller has done it. He has used something like this to use that 2.5 inch slot as m.2 SATA. Its strange as doing this doesn't give you any performance boost, as m.2 SATA works as fast as 2.5 inch SSD. 

https://www.amazon.in/Syba-2-5-Inch-Adapter-External-SD-ADA40077/dp/B00BGEVUO4?th=1

XPS_Man_0-1656725101352.png

Now coming back to your question, yes you can upgrade your storage and have a larger capacity 2.5 inch drive. You will have remove the steal Case covering the current SSD and and you will find that it's connected using above (pic) adapter. Both SSD and adapter will be removed and you will be able to connect a new 2.5 inch SSD.  

No Events found!