Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

21 Posts

January 24th, 2022 10:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Inspiron 16 Plus (7610) Touchpad issues.

I finally got Dell to recognize the touchpad has issues. I've resorted to using a wireless mouse.  The dell technician will be here today to replace the touchpad.

I'm hopeful I'll be one of the lucky ones and the replacement resolves the crazy behavior the current one has.  It started a few days after I received, and have been trying to get resolved since then. 

Wish me luck 

21 Posts

May 31st, 2022 05:00

Dell ended up replacing my original laptop with a refurbished unit and have had no further issues.  I've also received a response to my inquiry about the redesign Dell has implemented and the repair to those still having the issues.  They have redesigned the trackpad and also has a gasket below the pad to eliminate the static build up that seems to be the cause of strange behaviors.

I'd reach out to Dell to request this repair be made to your laptop.

3 Posts

June 19th, 2022 16:00

Contrary to Dell's suggestions, it is 100% a grounding problem. The ONLY solution, as far I'm aware, is the one post by JackNis on 4/4/22. It's a few posts down on this thread: Solved: Running List of Inspiron 7610 Touchpad Issue Posts - Dell Community

I did something very similar but used copper tape, as I was afraid to solder anything. It's been working flawlessly for about six weeks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 24th, 2022 10:00

Report back with results after replacement.

I had a new model XPS laptop for field evaluation and I sent it back because of flakey touchpad operation.  I would try to move the cursor and it would move then stop and not move and finally move some more.  Sometimes moving it would hover over some other function and open that function.  Not just a Windows issue as it worked the same way in the BIOS and F12 Options.

21 Posts

February 12th, 2022 09:00

Dell sent a tech and replaced trackpad.  Two weeks later it started all over again.  

Round two and hours of my time I'll never get back, the sent a tech out again and replaced the track pad and mother board. 

Fingers crossed this fixes the issue.

Now.. onto wireless continually dropping.

21 Posts

February 16th, 2022 04:00

Going on a week now, and all GOOD!    Dell sent a service tech for a 2nd time and replaced the motherboard and the trackpad again.  

24 Posts

February 17th, 2022 04:00

My 2nd touchpad was good for a month after the replacement, then it started to fail again... Don't want to take away your joy, but I would consider this equimpent as working/trustworthy no sooner than after a couple of months pass.

My previous laptop (Sony) ran fine without a single hardware glitch or even a BSOD for 9 years. I'm also using Lenovos daily in my company - only 1 failed drive in 10 years.

I was expecting at least the same from Dell for such price.

3 Posts

February 21st, 2022 12:00

This is the first ... and last time I will buy a Dell! worked flawlessly for the first 2 weeks then BAM! touchpad issues, moves irratically, won't click, freezes excess wear on touchpad ( obvious 'dint' where finger touches and only 1 month old!). After a chat session with Dell it looks like i'm stuck with this. I bought the laptop from PC world in the UK as I wanted a UK keyboard layout ( I live in Spain) was told I had to return it to PC World as they provide the warranty in the first instance. This obviously is not an option! So unless a Dell moderator sees this and sorts something out for me, Dell gets a 0/10 for customer service and presently a 2/10 for hardware quality. Now off to message Linus Tech Tips!

21 Posts

March 16th, 2022 07:00

Well.,. 3 weeks and guess what!  The trackpad issues are back and I'm having to use a wireless mouse again.  Called again.. and after yet another long conversation related to not going to send my laptop back for service and be without a computer for months.  Insisting it be replaced, and of course.. I'm out of the 30 day refund policy even though this started 2 weeks into getting it.  They are reviewing the case and will let me know if they will replace it with a refurbished laptop or send out for a third time and replace the touchpad.  I don't want another one of these.. and they won't upgrade with a different model (I'd even pay the increase in cost).  I will waste Dell's money at this point and have them come to Vermont and replace the pad every month until Dec 2022 with my one year warranty is up.

You would think they would reduce the cost and just replace it as to the cost of a tech coming to my house and parts for ?? only knows for how many more times.

21 Posts

March 18th, 2022 12:00

Dell reviewed the issues and has decided to replace with a "Refurbished" laptop equal to what I have or comparable.  If they replace with another 16 Plus, I'm not hold too much hope the replacement won't have the issue, and have to start this process all over again on a replacement. 

I'll keep you all posted as to the next chapter of "As the Inspiron 16 plus turns".   

4 Posts

March 26th, 2022 15:00

To think i paid over a thousand bucks for this is insane. it should be worth more than £600, it shouldnt have been sold at all. this is a defective product. it should be recalled.

21 Posts

March 28th, 2022 07:00

Received the Refurbished 16 Plus, and moved everything from old one to the replacement..  Let the count down begin.    

March 28th, 2022 18:00

You should review this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Running-List-of-Inspiron-7610-Touchpad-Issue-Posts/td-p/8053835/highlight/true/page/8

Scroll down to DashRendar and see what griffinross2 and JackNis have done. See if either of those two solutions work for you

1 Message

April 11th, 2022 06:00

Currently waiting for my 2nd touchpad replacement, 1st replacement lasted 3 months, this is my 1st Dell & very dissapointed.  Non responsive pad & then at times the cursor is jumping all over the place to where I can't even delete a email, very frustrating to know this is a common problem with this model & no way to upgrade to a different model & when warranty is out I'm just stuck with a defective laptop.

21 Posts

April 19th, 2022 08:00

Well.. I have had no issues with the replacement (Reburbished) unit.  Spend 1/2 day reloading my applications, music, documents, etc.  

I have seen resent posts related to a possible issue with small static charges building internal and simple behaviors like a screwdriving to one of the back plate screws can discharge and seem to resolve the behaviors.  I've not had any issues with this replacment, but wanted to mention it!   Hope I don't curse myself with this post!!!

24 Posts

May 5th, 2022 09:00

We are on the same boat. It is also my first Dell, 6 months of usage and on a 3rd touchpad (that is already malfunctioning). With Dell not doing anything to solve this issue permanently (or even stating that there is a problem officially) I fell obliged to discourage anyone and at every possible occassion to buy a Dell laptop. Would expect a recall action - such defective product should not be sold after the problem has been discovered - it looks like they try to sweep it under the rug and just carry on. So far I convinced 3 people not to buy a Dell laptop (close relatives and friends). Will continue to do so - Dell had almost 1 year to address this issue and failed completely at it. Based on my experience - they lost not one customer, but many, many more as I will continue to share my bad product experience. 
It is really frustrating and I feel bad that I had to write this...

No Events found!