Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

October 1st, 2021 04:00

Inspiron 7415 - Power Delivery Via Hub

I wanted to do this: 

"USB 70W Power Adapter -> USB C Mini-Hub With PD Pass-through -> USB C 100w rated cable -> Laptop

The power adapter is an Anker 70W supply, which works on many other devices. 
The hub is an Anker A8346 which claims to pass 85w. 

when I did, I got a "not enough power" warning from the laptop. 

So I did this:

Factory-Supplied Dell Power Adapter ->Anker USB C Mini-Hub With 85W PD Pass-through -> USB C 100w rated cable -> Laptop

and I got a "not enough power" warning from the laptop. 

I tried 2 other "known good" 100w USB cables, same problem. 

I then took the power adapter & hub setup to two different computers (HP Chromebook and a Lenovo laptop) and they charged via USB PD just fine. 

This leads me to think that either: 
a) the hub has some incompatibility with this particular laptop - or - 

b) the laptop will not accept PD pass-through via any hub. 

I am hoping very much it is not "b" as this means I wasted money on this laptop, because I can't use the USB-C port as intended, which is a 1-wire connection to a desktop setup when I'm at my desk. 

I'm unable to get a clear answer from Dell support on this; the question is simple: 

DOES THE INSPIRON 7415 SUPPORT PD VIA PASS-THROUGH FROM A HUB WITH UP TO 100W PASS-THROUGH? 

If the answer is "Yes" then exactly which hubs listed on the Dell store are 100% compatible with this system? 

• 

25.1K Posts

October 1st, 2021 22:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2021 04:00

I tried replying on the private message and the message would not send.  

1 Message

July 1st, 2022 18:00

If any person can assist. I'd love to hear.

I bought Inspiron 3210 13"Laptop and wanted to use a hub so my second screen (which is connected via USC C to HDMI) can be plugged in and leave one of the thunderbolt ports free for an external drive, as well as being a simple one plug to remove to pick up and take the laptop with me, rather than use the HDMI on the laptop, and then have to disconnect three separate plugs each time. When i turn on the computer i receive a warning that the device rated at 100W is only delivering 55w, which is below that which the computer will boot. I have a HDMI port on the hub, so i will buy a HDMI to HDMI and try that, but i fear that in itself won't resolve the issue.

No Events found!