Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 20th, 2022 02:00

smartconnect and windows dns

I have a question. Can we add the ns servers in the NameServers tab along with the Windows DNS servers?

smdns01.png

Or do we really need to create a child zone for delegation?

• 

6.9K Posts

September 21st, 2022 06:00

Hello jarves123,

I have seen some issues when customers configure there NS servers.  It is best to follow the configuration best practices that we have for configuring smartconnect.  The links are to customer facing documents so as long as you are logged into your EMC account you should be able to access the links.  Here is an additional link as well. https://dell.to/3f4VyjK

• 

6.9K Posts

September 20th, 2022 09:00

Hello jarves123,

You will need to create a child zone. Here are a couple of kb’s as well that you can review.

https://dell.to/3dASNWS

https://dell.to/3drvOgX

1 Rookie

• 

61 Posts

September 20th, 2022 13:00

It's funny you are asking this today. You "can" add the SSIP of your cluster as DNS-Server to your Filer-Clients - at least in the Windows World. I did just that as a POC on our Veeam Proxies this afternoon to circumvent the 1 second min TTL limitation of Windows DNS Server (resulting in multiple clients receiving the same Zone Pool-IP if they query via Windows DNS Server within a 1 second time window and ending up hammering the same node while other nodes idle).

I added the SSIPs of both our clusters as primary and secondary DNS Servers in the Windows TCP/IP config and our regular Domain Controller based DNS Servers as tertiary, quarternary Servers. The Clients trying to resolve the SmartConnect names will get successful returns from the Cluster SSIP - with zero DNS Cache/TTL (every SC Zone Name to IP query gets a different return based on round robin, even if multiple clients query within a 1 second time window - in contrast to Windows DNS Server cache limitation).

The downside of this is that for the other DNS queries the clients will "spam" th cluster SSIP DNS Service with requests they will not answer as SmartConnect limits reply to the configured SC Zone DNS names. This causes unnecessary strain on the cluster (though I did not see any performance impact in the scope of my limited testing) and causes a delay to the client since it will work through its list of provided DNS Servers. This is no problem for timely uncritical stuff but might be noticable in other scenarios. In our configuration, the added delay was within a few milliseconds (verified by querying via timed script and comparing to results against the regular DNS setup). Your mileage may vary of course.

For us - limited to the scope of Veeam - we might implement this "hack"...

2 Posts

September 20th, 2022 19:00

Can't access the two links you provided. Anyway, what would be the effects if I put them in the name servers tab together with the windows dns servers (just like screenshot above)?

jarves123_0-1663728990863.png

No Events found!