Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2009 18:00

BIOS clock slow- Not due to CMOS battery

Hey everyone...it appears I'm having some issues with a slow clock.  I have an XPS M1330.  Initially, it would fall behind a few hours each day, INCLUDING the BIOS time.  Also I noticed frequent Wi-Fi disconnections, as well as when I would shut down the laptop, it would not completely shut down.  It would go into what I believe would be an "idle" state, showing the blue power LED still being lit.  I would have to then manually shut down the laptop by holding the power button.  That was the only way of getting it out of the so-called "idle" state.  So first thing I decided to try was to replace the CMOS battery which was the first suggestion.  After replacing the CMOS battery, I got about 2 weeks of flawless performance; no slow clock, and no powering off issues.  Now, the clock is running slow again and I can't seem to figure out why.  I updated to the latest BIOS (A14 I believe), which seemed to work for about a day, now it's back to being slow again.  It is not shutting down properly either.  When I check the BIOS time, it is also incorrect.  I'm not sure if this a motherboard issue or what but any suggestions or ideas would be great. 

6 Posts

June 16th, 2009 13:00

I wanted to bump this because I really want to see if anyone has any idea or answers as to what this could be or how to fix it so I can save myself some money and not buy a new motherboard.

14.4K Posts

June 17th, 2009 15:00

You might want to try and do a repair on the OS by following the info HERE.

If that does not work then the other two options are Factory restore or Clean reinstall. Note that both of these will completly wipe out your current system and unless you back up your data it will be lost. You will also have to reload all your programs that did not come preinstalled if using the Factory restore option or all the programs if doing  the clean install.

6 Posts

June 17th, 2009 15:00

Updating once again...today the laptop's time has been going backwards?  Not sure if that means anything different than it just being slow but I wanted to see.  It's still not shutting down properly as it goes into some sort of "idle" state that can only be gotten out of by holding the power button and turning the laptop off.  Still looking for any help or answers.

6 Posts

June 17th, 2009 16:00

Thanks Davet50 I really appreciate the response.  Ill check these out and hopefully I find something that works!

6 Posts

June 25th, 2009 15:00

Well I wanted to post again and update the situation...I followed the tutorial that was given in the link for a clean install of the OS and still the same issues.  Real shame to because it took a long time to get everything back up and running.  So unless there's another option I'll have to buy a new MOBO from somewhere.

2.4K Posts

June 27th, 2009 15:00

On the issure of your Clock being slow. Did you check to see if your clock was set to be in the same region in which you live in.  If it is not then now matter how many times you reset it once rebooted it will revert bact to region it was setup in.

6 Posts

June 28th, 2009 13:00

Hey Dallascowboys...yeah I'm in the right time zone.  I made sure to check that when I installed the new CMOS battery a while back.  The clock seems to be slowing at a much more frequent pace than it had been originally.  It seems to jump backwards sometimes.  For example the clock will be synced correctly for an hour's time period (say from 2pm to 3pm) and when it hits that new hour (3pm), it seems to jump back to 2pm and keep time from there, however at a slower pace.

1 Message

April 9th, 2010 15:00

Hey MDLAXSK711

I have the EXACT SAME problems with my xps 1330.  Did you ever figure out the problem and find a solution?  Was it the MOBO?  Would really appreciate it if you can help me out.

7 Posts

April 26th, 2010 11:00

Just to add to this discussion, I am also experiencing the same exact issues for the last week. I've validated the correct bios time and windows time. within 20 minutes or so it will be back off by an hour. It is very frustrating not having this runnign correct. On a note when looking at the time in the BIOS. I had found that the clock was actually staying in place, meaning the seconds were not advancing while viewing the time in the BIOS. I'm not sure if this is just an indicator that I need to replace the cmos battery or if there is another hardware problem occurring here.

4 Posts

July 11th, 2010 09:00

Same EXACT issues here.  Wifi dropouts and Bios clock is stalling or slowed.  Also, sleep states and power states are all screwy (when I go to Shut Down, computer restarts.  When it should sleep, it restarts)  Tried flashing BIOS.  Will try OS repair although that doesn't seem to have helped anyone.  Fortunately I extended my warranty and should have replacement MOBO next week.  FIngers crossed.

7 Posts

July 11th, 2010 11:00

Replace the CMOS Battery with your motherboard. This should resolve the issue. I have been experiencing the slow clock issues for months now. Flashing the Bios didn't help. I replaced the CMOS battery and my time has been maintaining for over a week now. "just got new battery last week"

They are less then 10 bucks online. If your system is under warranty a dell tech will send you one for free. Hope this helps. Thanks.

1 Message

August 18th, 2010 22:00

I had the same exact problem. Time wasn't keeping up, so I replaced the CMOS battery with a new one from Dell. It ran for a while and then started having the same problems, as well as the not shutting down business. What's wrong with these machines and what is the fix? Did anyone find out?

7 Posts

August 19th, 2010 01:00

If you have replaced your battery with a factory new one, I would contact Dell for a replacement systemboard(motherboard). Hopefully your system is still under warranty. I was going through the same exact struggles with the clock as you were and once i replaced my cmos battery that went away. I've been working fine for over 5 months now. You must have a more serious problem with the system. Hope this helps.

November 4th, 2010 09:00

I experienced the same problem, Initially I replaced my laptop's main 6w battery with a new 9w battery on my XPS M1330.

Shortly after this I noticed the system clock starting to slow down and act weird.

Today I decided to replace the CMOS to see if that would fix it but when I opened it up I noticed it was soldered to 2 spade lugs so I couldn't simply pop it out.

Anyway I ended up unplugging the cable that the spade lugs were attaching to the motherboard with and therefore disconnecting the CMOS power source.

When I rebooted, the system asked for the time to be set in the BIOS.

The clock is working fine since (7 hours ago) and keeping the time perfectly.

I will update this in a day or two to see if anything changes. Luckily my warranty is good for another week so I can get the tech support guy out if it kicks up again.

7 Posts

November 4th, 2010 10:00

I experienced the same problem, Initially I replaced my laptop's main 6w battery with a new 9w battery on my XPS M1330.

Shortly after this I noticed the system clock starting to slow down and act weird.

Today I decided to replace the CMOS to see if that would fix it but when I opened it up I noticed it was soldered to 2 spade lugs so I couldn't simply pop it out.

Anyway I ended up unplugging the cable that the spade lugs were attaching to the motherboard with and therefore disconnecting the CMOS power source.

When I rebooted, the system asked for the time to be set in the BIOS.

The clock is working fine since (7 hours ago) and keeping the time perfectly.

I will update this in a day or two to see if anything changes. Luckily my warranty is good for another week so I can get the tech support guy out if it kicks up again.

I would strongly recommend contacting Dell before your warranty is up and get this issue logged. This way if it continues they can be held responsible for it should it break shortly after your warranty has expired. You will have better chance of them paying for the repairs then.

No Events found!