Laptops General - Read Only

2 Bronze

Blue Screen on Inspiron 9400 during XP Pro installation. pci.sys

I've just called Dell and heard "Tech support is closed". Not impressive for a globalised giant.

Received the 9400 today and need to install XP Pro SP 1. I boot the CD and before any input is expected from the character part of installation phase (About 1 minute after booting) I receive a BSOD.

Technical Information
Stop: 0x0000007e
pci.sys - address f786a0bf base at f7863000, data stamp 3b70855c

I have seen this error around the net without solution. I don't believe there is a fault with the CD (tried 2) or the machine (appears to be fine).

I suspect that a disk driver (100GB disk) needs to be added by slipstreaming or pressing F6 during the CD boot. I've heard stories that Dell support aren't so technical so I'm worried I won't be able to get the right advice in a timely fashion. This is a new new model so I'm pretty certain there will be many other people having this problem in the near future.

Anybody know the score ? I've found the ftp site but I'm hesitant about choosing driver.

All suggestions very welcome.

THANKS

Declan
Replies (5)
2 Bronze

@Declan8 wrote:
Received the 9400 today and need to install XP Pro SP 1. I boot the CD and before any input is expected from the character part of installation phase (About 1 minute after booting) I receive a BSOD.

Technical Information
Stop: 0x0000007e
pci.sys

Your brand new pci Intel Ide controller is not supported by the original XP cd1 installation.

U need to grab the ide drivers from Intel site before u can install a very old version of XP on a brand new machine.

Don't even understand why u need that...

And 9400??? It is not on Dell site.
2 Bronze

I am having the same issue, I looked through the Intel site and can't find anything to do about it.

The bloated default load is horrid on the 9400 and even after uninstalling it all it still is filled with leftovers.  Also the OS install directory is on the disk with some other stuff i dare not delete.  I just received the 9400 and would like a clean install, I have installed XP Pro about 100 times (this to my dismay is not an exaggeration) and had this happen only 1 other time, and I fixed it with a bios update.  I was thinking about building my 8600 with a fresh XP install upgrading to service pack 2 then ghosting that and just restoring it the 9400, I am using a corporate version of XP so it won't notice the hardware swap (urr I don't think) then I could go through and install the drivers... any thoughts on if this would work in the meantime of waiting for a dell solution? It's 111:45pm I have many hours to morning I may just try it and see how bad I can make situations ;)  I will ghost current build on 9400 to make sure I am not left with a 3,000 hunk of gorgeous junk.. I'll report back and tell you how big a mistake this is in the morning ;)

-Chris

2 Bronze

I am now encountering this same problem...has anybody figured out a way to get around it yet? I can't seem to figure out what driver I need to get or where to get it from. A link to where to get the right driver, and how to slipstream it into the installer would be VERY helpful. Thanks very much.

// YEX //

2 Bronze

hello guys,

after it really stole about 24h of my worthful german life and trying almost anything to get rid of that f*** failure..... here comes the solution!!  i have a dimension but it should be exatcly the same prob/solution.

u try to install another os than brought with ur dell. often ur favourite os is obsolete.
do NOT TRY TO INSTALL an os lower than xpsp2! PCIe isnt supported then and windows cannot be installed. u will not succeed by trying another graphic-card nor another hdd nor any other componente u switch. u wont believe how much i pluged in and plug off again ;)

so: copy ur xp cd to ur hdd (on a functional mashine) and integrate sp2 with it. its very easy, google for it. burn it like told in description.

now that u have xpsp2 u will STILL need the driver for ur sata controller. get it somewhere here. now install xpsp2. during installation press F6 (at the very beginning) and let setup copy the driver from a: (yes, u need a floppy-drive! it must be internal as an usb/external floppy wont help!). from now on everything is like it was all the years before.

u´re DONE :)

Message Edited by blazey on 02-27-2006 12:46 PM

2 Bronze

Mine is fixed in the same way.

Slipstreaming XP SP2 into XP disc.

Dell support were absolutely useless. I bought this thing here in Germany where I live and there were no support CDs in the box. After a painfully long, tedious call to India with someone who I wouldn't trust to tie her own shoelaces, they eventually agreed to send me what I had paid for. Just giving my address must have taken nearly 10 minutes.

Fixed ?
Except No. That would be too easy. Dell support thought Frankfurt is in England. I had explained where I was a few times to them.

And then I hear "We won't send to Germany"

Why not ?

"That's Dell policy".

Questioned again. Response:

"That's Dell policy".
"That's Dell policy".
"That's Dell policy".
"That's Dell policy".
"That's Dell policy".
"That's Dell policy". etc etc etc.

I'm a systems engineer so I can look after most aspects myself. I would advise less technical people to seriously consider the pathetic, barely understandable support before taking the Dell option.
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions