Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 4th, 2015 22:00

Dell Data Protection "Exception Thrown (RN:01A00002).

Latitude E6520 Windows 7 64-Bit fresh install, installed the Dell Data Protection, enabled the encryption feature and it was working for a few days.

Today, I tried booting it up and "Exception thrown (RN:01A00002)" After clicking "Ok" I'm in an emergency recovery mode.

I entered in my password and it states that it's invalid. I even double-checked my backup password on my flash drive (it forces you to create) and verified my password IS correct.

Now I have a Samsung Evo 850 SSD that has it's "Self-encrypting" feature enabled so I cannot wipe the drive to re-use it.

I tried in Ubuntu, Diskpart everything.

Any thoughts??

10 Posts

April 5th, 2015 09:00

Hello Speedstep and anyone else reading in the future after this gets indexed.

Speedstep, while I appreciate your rapid response it is wildly inaccurate.

Dell's Data Protection Access utilizes a company called "Wave" that creates a lot of different security software suites (ie Embassey Security).

They have an article here:
https://www.wave.com/support/biometric-authentication-fails-pre-windows

After talking to a person regarding the error, this occurs when their software is used on a drive not yet supported by them or a software glitch/drive corruption. I found that in my case it was because their using TCG OPAL commands 1.0 whereas my drive supports the newest 2.0 commands.

This caused my problem. So - how do we fix it ?

I found a few blackhat tools that allow you to communicate to the drives self-encryption piece, however they were un-successful. After some digging, there is a PSID hardware password on the SSD. I found that someone added to their drop-box Samsungs PSID reset tool.

Running this CLI tool allowed me to reset the SSD back to factory specifications and remove the self-encryption caused by the DDPA.  Yay! Now I have my SSD back.

Speedstep, I did replace my SSD with another and I was able to use that successfully without any modifications to my TPM or Bios. Again I appreciate the fast response however!

If anyone needs the Samsung PSID reset tool, feel free to just post below and we'll get in touch.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 5th, 2015 00:00

Dell Data Protection software RN 01A00002

There won't be any information forthcoming about bypassing this security feature.

If you put a new drive in it will become locked as well.  This is using Bios hardware protection.  Booting or running external software is not going to decrypt the drive.

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2015 05:00

Hello,

I have a  problem with my new SSD 850 EVO samsung. A password is asking at the startup just after the BIOS. 

I have already returned it to the seller but the problem is back just after a few days of use.

I search a Samsung PSID tool to unlock it because if i resend it to Samung in warranty, it took 4 weeks  to get it back.

Thanks

Sorry for my bad English

10 Posts

May 2nd, 2015 15:00

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2015 02:00

Thanks for the tool.

Nevertheless, When i run it, it, this doesn't list my disk  :

disk 1  : error.

I use an usb external enclosure to connect it. Maybe it will mandatory to use a direct sata connection in order to use the PSID tool ?

Thanks,

10 Posts

May 3rd, 2015 03:00

Hey there,

I think you're right. I only tried it with a direct sata connection. Also - you're running the command prompt as administrator right?

Without that it won't be able to run it's commands properly.

4 Posts

May 4th, 2015 01:00

Hello,

I am running it with administrator right but not in a prompt, i launch it directly in the IHM.

Tomorrow, i will retry with a direct sata connection and by launching it as root in a cmd prompt.

Thanks for you help.

4 Posts

May 5th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

I have done the test.

With a direct SATA connection and launching program by root prompt, my SSD is in the list.

But TCG is not activated on my disk and so the program exit.

My last solution is to find the default MASTER ATA secure erase password in order to make a low level erasure.

If someone know it for EVO 850, please let me know !!

Thanks

2 Posts

November 27th, 2015 08:00

Hi !

Thanks for your post, wich is describing exactly the issue i have with one PM830 samsung drive.

The link you provided a while ago for the Samsung PSID reset tool is expired.

Would you be so kind to repost it ?

Thanks again.

Edit :

Finaly found the PSID reset tool but only to find out my drive is a PM830 (dell) and not a 830 (retail). This means there is no no PSID noted on the hard drive. By using the hot bypass bios option, i've managed to boot on a freeDOS usb key made with rufus and execute the firmware update tool in hoping it would reset the encyption and allow me to reformat the drive. Halas, to no avail. Drive still locked and only able to boot in receovery mode. By pluggin the drive in antother machine, and using a reset tool from samsung, i'm able to see the state of the drive (locked, encryption activated) but unable to reset it.

I think I can manage to execute the samsung utility to run the secure erase but not without the PSID. Is anyone knows how to find the PSID of dell Samsung PM830 ?

17 Posts

March 14th, 2016 10:00

Sunnikan, did you ever figure out how to get the PSID from the Dell 830 SSDs? I'm in the same exact situation... without the PSID I cannot get very far trying to uninitialize the drive... :(

2 Posts

March 14th, 2016 10:00

Unfortunately I was unable to retrieve the PSID.

This locked-in situation left me with a very expensive paper weight. I still can access the data through the recovery mode but I am unable to reset the drive. I've learned my lesson and move away from hardware based encryption to software based (TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt).

I sincerly hope you will be luckier than me and if by some chance you find an answer, please tell me.

Sincerly,

17 Posts

March 14th, 2016 13:00

From what I've seen on the 30 or so Dell laptops we have here both Samsung and Liteon SATA and m.2 SSDs from Dell don't seem to have a PSID on them... :(

10 Posts

Dang... sorry to hear that :(

10 Posts

Also here is a new link for the Samsung PSID tool:

onedrive.live.com/redir;authkey=!AC6BlKft4gqga7I&ithint=folder%2c

10 Posts

On my Samsung Evo - the PSID was printed on the solid-state itself... isn't it on those models? 

No Events found!