Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 18th, 2017 13:00

Dell Latitude D410 RAM

Hello,

My laptop (Latitude D410) has two RAM memory cards, one of 2GB on the base and a 1GB card under the keyboard, a processor intel M 1.73GHz, when i check the BIOS (Revision A05) on Memory info says: 2048MB of memory installed.

I'm running linux mint 18.2 Sonya xfce 32-bit, so i want to know how to activate or get the BIOS or Linux OS to use the 1GB card.

when i run the command "sudo lshw -short" shows too

2004Mib System memory.

( On windows 7 32-bit recognises and uses the entire 3GB of ram).

Sorry my english.

331 Posts

July 19th, 2017 17:00

Hi AM_Mendez,

You’re welcome. Using higher capacity memory modules, can cause the system not to boot with a blank screen or memory errors or just show the maximum supported. The memory capacity would be capped to its maximum limit supported by the motherboard, it would be recommended to use the correct memory capacity.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

331 Posts

July 18th, 2017 19:00

Hi AM_Mendez,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

The Dell Latitude D410 has two SODIMM sockets and the memory modules capacities it supports are 256 MB, 512 MB, and 1 GB. The minimum memory it supports is 256 MB and the maximum is 2 GB.

You may also refer to the system manual using this link http://dell.to/2tnZFyF, refer to page 94. Please go to the system BIOS and check the memory information, the DIMM A slot is under the keyboard, DIMM B slot is at the bottom of the system.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 18th, 2017 20:00

Thanks a lot for replying, i didn't check the user manual, well in the BIOS doesn't show which socket belongs the memory, i guess maybe is using both but uses the DIMM A socket half its capacity right? but my final question is should i discard the extra 1GB of the DIMM A socket forever? i mean no way to use it?

Again thanks a lot!

No Events found!