Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2014 16:00

Dell Unified Wireless Suite High CPU Utilisation

This software (Dell Unified Wireless Suite) running as Wcct.exe is utilizing a lot of CPU on my Latitude E7440.  It's consitently in the upper 20s to low 30s.  It causes the battery to drain much faster since the unit gets hot and the fan runs.  I can end the process (Wcct.exe) and everything seems to run fine. 

I have run the Dell Client System Update utility but there doesn't seem to be any updates for it.  Any suggestions? 

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 11:00

I had the same issue with a Dell E6440 laptop. Installed a Siemens software product that required a dongle for security checks. After the dongle driver installed, the WCCT.EXE process started using 30% plus continously on the processor useage.

The solution was to uninstall the Unified Wireless Suite and just use the basic wireless driver.

Here's what I did:

1.  uninstall the offending dongle driver (or  whatever is conflicting with it)

2. then uninstall the Dell Unified Wireless Suite. This will leave the wireless card without a driver and will show a "bang" in the device manager.

3. download the wireless driver from Dell but DO NOT install via the setup .exe but rather, using winzip or some other program to extract the files to any directory (desktop?).

4. In Device Manager, click on the "bang" network card and right click to "Update driver". Point it to the directory with the extracted drivers and let it find the appropriate driver.

5. now install the offending software (dongle driver in my case).

1 Message

February 11th, 2015 18:00

Had the same issue on my LATITUDE E7440. Mine started when I installed a dongle license software called Sentinel. Followed the procedure described by MARANIS except the steps 1 and 5. Everything is working fine now.

THX! 

1 Message

August 20th, 2014 15:00

I am having a similar problem. I have a Precision M4800 with a Dell Wireless 1601 adapter, but the wcct.exe process is consuming quite a bit of CPU, ~15-25%. As with the previous poster, I ended the process and everything seemed to work fine, but when I reboot, it comes back. This was not always the case, I only noticed it happening within the last week or so. I uninstalled Dell Unified Wireless Suite and reinstalled it, but to no avail. Even disabling the adapter, wcct.exe continues running high.

December 8th, 2015 07:00

Had the same issue with my Latitude E6540, using wireless when trying to do some Java development. When running gulp to run a development build which was using browsersync, wcct.exe would run wild. I finally decided to resolve this issue the 3rd time in a 4 hr stretch that the RAM used by wcct went over 1gig, bringing my system to it's knees.  

The reason I provided all that detail is that this is a reproducible bug in the unified wireless app. Dell needs to either fix this problem for users that aren't as savvy as some of us, or they need to get rid of this buggy software.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2016 16:00

I also noticed high CPU utilization by the Dell Wireless Suite (wcct.exe) on a Latitude 3550 laptop that had the Sentinel drivers install. I removed the Sentinel software and wcct.exe is no longer the top CPU user. But the CPU util didn't drop to 0% as I hoped :-(

Now svchost.exe (netsvcs) is the main user, at about 25% of CPU. Maybe we are too obsessed about anything consuming our CPU when we think the computer should be idle. In fact there may be any number of processes that will grab CPU if it's available. Just my 2 cents...

No Events found!