Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 05-22-2017 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
Not applicable

Dell XPS 15 9530 will not wake after sleeping

I got my XPS 3 days ago and I've had the lingering issue of the computer not wanting to wake from sleep when I try to open the laptop again. The keyboard and power button lights up like it's working, but the screen never comes back on and I have to restart the computer. Any suggestions for this new computer to work without crashing?

Replies (59)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Same machine, same issue here. Refuses to wake from sleep. Must hit power off, wait then hit again. Closing and reopening lid works sometimes. Had a different Dell some years ago that did the same thing. Apparently they haven't learned much about debugging, as it doesn't get much simpler than successfully powering.
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I'm having the same issue.  Mine is randomly powering itself off and anytime I put it to sleep it doesnt want to wake up.  I have to hold the power button down to shut it off and then start it back up.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Similar problem, my XPS 15 9530 has never liked waking from Suspend or hibernate (especially when on mains power). Have had to unplug the power cable (and USB mouse strangely) and then it usually resumes or I have to hold the power button down and reboot completely. Now it doesn't turn on at all, regardless of how it's powered and length of time holding the power button - anyone know of a way of kicking it back into life? I guess a call to Dell will be needed on Monday. Not impressed so far...

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Did any of you guys fix the issues with the 9530.  I have had my machine for about 3 months now and it just started doing it - I am so confident that this is a Windows update issue, not a Dell issue.  

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Not here, mine seems to be a hardware issue as it won't boot or power on at all now but the previous issue might have been software. I've made contact with Dell technical support 3 times on the phone, they've missed 2 call-backs and so far have not been any help. Sending it back to the shop as it's been faulty since I received it. Never buying a Dell again.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi! I want to join in on this thread as I am having issues like this as well.
I have posted a lengthy log of what I have been dong with my laptop here:

[View:here

However I also like to add that now it has for the 3rd time ended up not going into POST.

The last thing I did was to only disable external USB devices in BIOS, reboot the computer and then try to put it to sleep.

I suggest for some that they should try to make a bootable USB stick with some version of Linux  that lets you suspend the computer (don't think bash/terminal only will do) In my case it didn't resume from sleep at all. basically shut down. didn't even have to hold the power button most times.

I'm looking for some kind of instruction booklet for the computer, though I have stumbled upon it a few times I can't seem to find it anymore. Why do you prevent me from using google to access the site dell? (I get sent to the products page when I click a google link) really annoying!

I will be visited by a technician soon I think. they are awaiting parts.
This is a shame since I got the computer January 9th, (ordered during Christmas,) and I still haven't got it working! This is the worst! It's not long till the new models start rolling out, XPS 13 is already out with a 5th gen i7 processor and hugely increased battery life. It can't be that long until the new XPS 15 rolls out either as this build has been the same for over a year!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The technician was in today and switched the motherboard for the third time.

In addition he switched what he called the powerboard, (Which i assume is the part where the computer connects to the mains and alternates between charging/battery etc.

and to be sure he also switched out my power adapter (brick)

Low and behold. As I'm typing this the computer seems to be working fine.
It is however a little unresponsive when waking, but it actually does wake as apposed to restart.

It doesn't wake as I open the lid, don't know if that is intentional. But when i quickly press the power button, (sometimes I need to press it two times) it actually resumes where I left it.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Good luck!

I got through to a more helpful tech service agent today and mine's getting picked up tomorrow to be sent to the service center. Am assuming that the current problem where the laptop doesn't power on at all will get fixed as it's pretty easy to verify that it's solved, although I'm not sure about the previous waking from suspend/hibernate issue as I'm not sure if it's HW or SW related.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

My computer seems to be working fine now. In the time of my last post I had Intel rapid start to initiate instantly. Which actually will cause the system to shut down. I set it to 15 min and the computer sleeps/wakes as expected.

After 3 motherboard swaps, replacing the actual power circuitry seems to have resolved it. I remember hearing that if it is faulty it will actually damage the motherboard.

I recommend requesting that part to be switched as well before getting it back. Or you'll end up in the same cycle as me. Only I demanded onsite repairs after first shipping it in, as I wanted to see the repair process first hand. The technician doesn't do anything other than swapping parts that have to be ordered, if you haven't specified the parts that you suspect being faulty they will not test anything else. I actually had to opt in on the phonecall the technician had during his assembly as the parts didn't solve it the first time on site. I'll repost here if anything changes.

(Forgive any typos I'm writing this in a bar)

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor