Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2016 12:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 Blue Screen

I just got this new Dell XPS 15 9550 2 days ago (10-Aug-16) and it has already crashed 4 times with blue screen.
After the first BSOD, I thought it was due to outdated drivers. But then I updated all drivers to latest including updated BIOS. Then I ran a system diagnostic test from the Dell support page. Second BSOD occurred while running diagnostics. Today I just turned on the computer and it crashed with BSOD while just sitting idle. The I ran a second diagnostic test. This time, the diagnostics ran successfully except two.

Integrated Webcam                    Edge Detection      Test Failed
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M    Block Move Test     Cannot Run

The BSOD were CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED or UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION.

The system just seems so unstable to do anything serious on it..
Is this laptop worth keeping or should I just return it? How does the 9550 work for others?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 13th, 2016 07:00

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest you check for the latest windows updates are installed. The latest is the Anniversary update(version 1607). At the left bottom of taskbar, please click on windows icon, Settings, and then Update & Security. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required. You can check for latest Build in System settings. Go to Settings, System, and then "About ".

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Keep in mind, you can contact Dell Technical for assistance in link below. You have 30 days from invoice date to return it and order a new one. If this is a software issue, you also have 30 days of software support.

www.dell.com/.../Contact-Information

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I'd suggest also you run troubleshooting tool on the computer. The tool will fix any corrupt windows updates and fix other problems that causing issues on the system. Please type troubleshooting control panel onto [Cortana] search box, click "View All" , and then windows updates. You can click on System Maintenance as well.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Lastly....

Run the System file checker. It scan for any corrupted system files that could be causing problems and fix those corrupt files as well.

a) Press Windows key + X key at the same time, select Command prompt (Admin)

b) In the command prompt type the following command: sfc/scannow and press enter

If no corrupted system files were found , then I would suggest you try the following steps:

a) Select Command prompt (Admin)

b) In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command....  

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

4 Posts

August 13th, 2016 08:00

Troubleshooting tool and DSIM.exe did not return any errors. But thanks for the suggestions.

4 Posts

August 13th, 2016 08:00

Hmm.. my windows version is 1511. But, clicking on windows updates say that I am up to date.

4 Posts

August 26th, 2016 05:00

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 26th, 2016 09:00

:emotion-2:

Glad your computer is fix now. Thanks for the update and sharing the solution for others to see.....

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 18:00

I have read so many forums and posts on the BSOD issue and I would like to concur that the problem was fixed for me By installing samsung SSD drivers even though my model doesn't have specified drivers

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2017 19:00

Hashstrid, your link doesn't seem to work.

A PCIe drive should not need a driver for it to be a boot drive. if installed in the UEFI configuration.  There have been some bios problems lately related to PCIe drives.

3 Posts

April 18th, 2017 02:00

I found my problem. When I close the Dell Premiere application everything resolved.

1 Message

August 1st, 2017 04:00

I fixed my BSOD problems because Dell was not willing to help unless I paid up and extended my warranty ($233.00). Called Microsoft and they wanted ($250.00) to try and resolve it. My resolution seems to be working without issue! I formated the hard drive and installed the latest version Of Linux Mint  Cinnamon 64bit! WORKS BEAUTIFULLY! All hardware is installed and working as well. 4K screen looks even better with Linux! For work I installed VPN and use office 365 across the web and use my phone for all Skype initiatives.

17 Posts

August 1st, 2017 11:00

How is your experience with Mint Linux on the 9550? I ran it off an external drive for testing but haven't yet fully converted.

Did you have any trouble installing the 3D drivers? I found they were necessary for running VMs under VMware Professional 12, but I hadn't made it that far in testing.

No Events found!