Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2012 04:00

Dell XPS13 Ultrabook won't start up

My Dell Ultrabook 13's screen suddenly winked out during use and now I can't get it to boot up at all. The battery's charged up (the indicator shows 5 lights), but when I try to start it up, nothing happens.  Holding the power down for a few seconds while the laptop is unplugged gets the backlit keyboard to flash, but the screen's totally dark.

Oddly enough, nothing at all happens when I have the laptop plugged in and try to start it.  No flashing keyboard or anything.

Any advice?

26 Posts

October 25th, 2012 05:00

Hello.

It sounds like it could be a couple of things.

1. Either your motherboard is not properly accepting the voltage from the battery or ac.

2. Your hard drive has errors.

3. Your memory has errors.

I would try doing these first:

1.  If you have access to the battery, remove it and ac from the computer, hold down the power button for 1 minute and then plug the ac into the computer (leave the battery out) and see if it boots.

2. Remove the hard rive from the laptop, leave it out, and then see if the computer boots to POST without the hard drive. If it boots to POST, your hard drive may have failed.

3. If you have access to the memory and there is more than one RAM stick installed, remove both and then put only one back into DIMM slot A and see if the computer boots (try each memory stick, by-itself, in the main DIMM slot.). I would also suggest, if you have a spare computer, to download a little program called memtes, load it onto a dvd or USB, boot to it, and let the test run overnight.

2.6K Posts

Hi aarontherelentless,

Please run the LCD BIST on the laptop to check if there is any problem with the LCD screen.

To initiate LCD BIST:

• Connect the AC adapter to your computer.
  • Hold the letter <D> on your keyboard and then turn on your computer.
    You will see four colors (grey, red, green, and blue) on the screen in a sequence.

If you see any colors on the screen the LCD screen is fine.

Try to run the PSA diagnostics to check all the hardware functionality of the system , as you are not able to see anything on the screen launch the PSA by holding and power on the laptop.

As the laptop power button is on, the laptop is receiving the power but not able to display anything.

Check if the computer is giving out any beep sounds, and make a note of the beeps and post the beep count.

Please reply for further help.

Hi Nikhil,

So i tried to initiate the LCD BIST, but nothing comes up.  The screen flickers very faintly, but there are no colors.

I then tried to run the PSA diagnostics, but nothing happened when I held down FN and tried to power on the laptop.  

There have been no beeps or any sounds while trying either of these things.  

What should I try next?

Thanks

aarontherelentless

2.6K Posts

October 26th, 2012 05:00

Hi aarontherelentless,

Try connecting an external monitor to the laptop and check if there is display any on the external monitor. This helps us to check if the problem is with the LCD screen or the motherboard/video card of the laptop.
Please post back the results.
If there is no display even on the external monitor then it is a problem with motherboard/video card of the laptop which needs to be replaced.

In case the system has active warranty, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name. 
To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation. 

To check the Warranty status use this link:  http://tinyurl.com/5r4b8j 

Awaiting your response!

October 28th, 2012 07:00

Hi Nikhil,

I dont have a way to connect an external monitor to my ultrabook as it doesn't have a VGA port or an HDMI out.  Do you know of another way to do this?

I do believe my Ultrabook is still under warranty though as its only 4 months old.  

Let me check.  Thanks for the help

Aaron

2.6K Posts

October 30th, 2012 06:00

Hi aarontherelentless,

As mentioned earlier the problem is with the motherboard/memory of the computer, as the warranty of the computer is active, I request you to private message the service tag of the computer. I will assist you with further course of action

Please reply for any further help.

February 24th, 2013 16:00

hi im having same issue but LCD test worked fine but cant get psa test to launch at all any advice thanks

2.6K Posts

February 27th, 2013 11:00

Hi One stop tech shop,

Try the below steps:

1. Remove all the external peripherals, the power cable and battery from the laptop, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. This process will drain all the static energy from the computer.
  2. Power on the laptop with only the battery plugged in or only the power cable to check if it is a problem with battery or AC adapter.
  3. Now try running diagnostics by switching on the desktop/laptop computer by tapping F12 at dell logo to enter “One-time boot menu”.
  4. If the F12 option is not working for laptop then try running diagnostics by press and holding the Fn button and power on the laptop and select diagnostics from the list. If the diagnostics displays an error, please reply with the right error message.
  5. If unable to run the diagnostics check for beep sound or flashing lock lights when the system is turned on.

Please reply the results along with the operating system and errors on the screen.

To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6

February 27th, 2013 12:00

Thanks tried all these still no video the bist works keyboard lights up but thats only signs of life its an ultrabook and under warranty still   <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> is the service tag # and trying to get this done for my client so he can get back working so any help would be great

2.6K Posts

March 1st, 2013 10:00

Hi One stop tech shop,

Based on the results the problem could be with the Video card of the laptop, as the video card is integrated on the motherboard, please check if there is a possibility try swapping the motherboard at a local tech store and check the functionality of the computer.

In case the system has active warranty, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name. 
To private message, click on my user name, click Add as friend and click start conversation. 

To check the Warranty status use this link:  http://tinyurl.com/5r4b8j

Awaiting your response.

15 Posts

March 15th, 2014 16:00

appaling...were trying to run a business here.

how can dell sell such useless stuff. they must know.

total incompetence.

Dell sucks

3 Posts

May 1st, 2014 21:00

Hi,

I have a dell xps ultra-book. Suddenly one day when I pressed the power button, it was not turning on. I saw few articles in internet about disconnecting the battery. I disconnected the battery, pressed the power button for 30 seconds and reconnected the battery. The ultra-book turned on. And everything looks good. However next day same problem. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it again. The ultra-book again turned on. But it is happening everyday. Any idea? The PC is just came out of warranty.  

Thank You.

1 Message

June 15th, 2014 19:00

I had the same issue, but the LCD BIST test worked fine and I saw all the colors. Nothing showed up though when I held while powering on though. Keyboard lights up and the laptop sounds like it is powering on, then nothing happens and lights go off. Please help. Just received the laptop this week.

4 Posts

August 9th, 2014 05:00

This is happening for me as well, Xps13 ultrabook , I just came out of warranty as well, now the laptop won't boot up.  Then this morning it boots up and is working fine, I shut it down, can't turn it back on again.  I suspect if i wait another day or so, it will work again.

I have read various posts online of this behavior, but I am not sure if they all apply to this model.  

Please help

1 Message

December 13th, 2017 16:00

The Dell XPS 13 has neither a removable battery nor hard drive, and if one doesn't already have a video adapter the last thing upon encountering a dead laptop would be to go out and spend additional money on such an adapter.

My XPS 13 suddenly went black yesterday 3 months after the end of its warranty period. No amount of fiddling with it makes any difference. The LCD test comes up positive (the display works) but it can't be shut down nor start up using the power button, hence the machine is bricked.

Needless to say this will be the last time I purchase a Dell product. Ever. I've learned my lesson.

No Events found!