Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2013 12:00

Driver for 2GB AMD Radeon HD 8730M is not working. Dell Inspiron 3521

my laptop is brand new. 1 week old and i can't get my Radeon 8730M graphics card working. laptop model is Dell  Inspiron 3521 .   I've tried installing the original driver from the dell support page. i've tried using drivers from AMDs website. i've installed and uninstalled at least 10 times the drivers.   when i run the installation setup amd catalist shows that all the drivers and software is installed correctly and up to date but the device manager says something else.  also, i have absolutely no options available in the catalyst software.  my windows system rating (index) is 1.0 because of the graphics performance.   any ideas? 

5 Posts

October 4th, 2013 13:00

back with some good news. 

I've formatted the partition on witch my windows was installed. re-installed windows, and all the drivers. i've started with the AMD driver but i was disappointed. it was still not working. then i thought, maybe it has some CO-drivers with some chipset drivers  so i downloaded and installed all the drivers again. including the Intel HD 4000 driver. i think this was the one that was not correctly installed and because of witch the Radeon card was not working.   so if someone else is having this problem, be sure to uninstall both the amd driver and the intel hd 4000 driver and then install them again, it should resolve the problem. 

thanks for the help.

Norbert 

3.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 13:00

Hi berty4all,

Download and install the “AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility” to uninstall the existing video drivers:

http://dell.to/1brAkov

Once the uninstallation is done, reinstall the downloaded drivers:

http://dell.to/18Q6hB3

If the issue persists, update BIOS using the link below:

http://dell.to/154Ogj8

• During BIOS update verify that the computer is connected to an AC Adapter.
  • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update. 
  • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Ensure battery charge is more than 20% during BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Also, refer the following link for error 43:

http://dell.to/1g4odx2

Let me know the status.

5 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 14:00

Hi Jaresh. 

Thanks for the quick reply. 

i've followed your steps but he same problem persists. 

Uninstalled the driver using the amd uninstall tool , rebooted , installed again the drives but the same problem persists. 

afther that i've updated the bios. (it was A04 before, now it's version A09) but still, the problem persists. 

i've read the article about error 43. i've basically tried everything from there except a clean windows installation. (even though this is a clean windows installation, it's been 10 days since i've got my laptop and 9 days since i've installed windows 7. )

i will come back with an update after i reinstall windows.

thanks,

Norbert   

2 Posts

October 25th, 2013 17:00

I did all of the above steps, and still can't make it HD 8730 to work.

When I install Intel HD drivers, both of the cards work, but, intel one is active, and I can not start Ati Catalist center.

Window 7 with SP 1, 64 bit. BIOS is updated to A09.

5 Posts

October 26th, 2013 02:00

try to uninstall both the ATI driver and the INTEL driver. make shore that the other chipset drivers are also installed (sound, sata controler and so on) and  then install first the INTEL driver then the ATI driver. 

2 Posts

October 28th, 2013 13:00

Yes, it is working.

I didn't know that this laptop have a different on-board graphic chip that is active with low end applications, and the ati radeon graphic card is activated for more demanding applications, and that's why I have completely ignored intel hd 4000 driver. 

So, install first intel hd 4000 driver, then the ATI driver. In Catalyst you can specify which applications run on radeon chip, and thats it. For desktop and Aero, intel chip is active.

1 Message

October 28th, 2013 13:00

is it working now????????

1 Message

February 11th, 2016 04:00

Hello guys

I'm having problem with my dell graphic card. my laptop model is Inspiron 15R 5521. although I bought it used from someone and I have use dell drivers and support to get all the software but I cant do that of the VGA. intel HD 4000 graphics and radeon 8730 pls help

No Events found!