Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2013 19:00

E7440 Display Problems

Hi All, 

The IT department for my company has purchased multiple E7440s to test before deploying to the rest of the company. Unfortunately most of us are having issues when they are plugged into port replicators. 

After a brief search online it seems that we are not the only ones to experience these issues:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/718952-latitude-e7240-e7440-leaked-12.html

Is anyone else experiencing this 

AND is there a fix yet?

1 Message

May 8th, 2014 22:00

I have a similar screen flicker problem on E7240 LCD,  under these specific conditions.  

full resolution,  on battery power,  with a lot of white on the screen.  

It goes away when plugged in or when I change to a lower resolution.  

I fixed this by changing the setting in intel HD graphics control panel.  go to power setting area,  go to the "on battery" setting tab and turn off the "self refresh" setting.  

My flickering no longer appears under any condition.  

3 Posts

November 25th, 2013 19:00

Yep, having the same issues with E7420 and E7440 laptops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGEilUAuHPA

I have heard using DisplayPort cables stops it but annoying.

Have had it both happen on DSUB and DVI cables. DSUB doesn't seem to get the wavy pixel dance - it just turns the screen black for a second then it comes back.

Only happens when docked on external displays - Have not tried anything else - I run two external monitors both DVI and it does it on both monitors at different times. Have tried using a DVI-DisplayPort adapter but still happens.

3 Posts

November 25th, 2013 23:00

Fixed Youtube Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAqVVN6HLGk

5 Posts

December 18th, 2013 05:00

I have the same issue "wavy pixel dance", with E7240 and advanced port replicator with VGA/DVI cables. very strange.

5 Posts

December 26th, 2013 13:00

Same issue here on multiple E7440s here, and multiple docking stations (Dell E-Port Plus, VM8F7).  The laptops are docked with two DVI connections.  

Every 15 seconds to 2 minutes (and randomly in between) either screen will have a brief moment of fine-distortion like a one-pixel shift on every other line, followed by the display blacking out for one second.  

It happens randomly on either of two displays, on each E7440 we have.

Specs:

E7440, Windows 8.1 Pro, VM8F7 Dock, 2x Samsung SyncMaster 2343BWX @ 2048 x 1152.

Happens exactly like this video, every minute or two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAqVVN6HLGk

5 Posts

December 26th, 2013 14:00

Update....

The original driver from the last post was:

Intel Corporation

10/1/2013

After updating to:

Intel Corporation

12/18/2013

...the issue is much less common.  Every 5-10 minutes instead of every 15 seconds.  Looking for a changelog or something for the driver, but it seems they must be aware of it (or accidentally made it somewhat better.)

6 Posts

December 30th, 2013 08:00

Hi, we just began ordering the E7440 models and we're having the same issue. So far I have tested it with DVI and DisplayPort and it only happens with DVI port/cable. It does not occur when using the laptop display, only when docked.

I have a ticket open with Dell and they're scheduling an on-site tech to come out and take a look. Let me know if you guys have an update.

5 Posts

December 30th, 2013 11:00

Same deal here... laptop display is fine.  Screens are still having this issue, DVI tested so far.  Have been trying different (non native to the display) resolutions with no luck.  Driver seemed to have had some effect, but it's still WAY to often.  Every couple of minutes.

Curious to see what the tech has to say, but this definitely seems model-wide and not specific to certain machines.  All of our E7440s do it.  

Previous models (ie: E6520, etc) do not have any issue with the same docs and screens.

5 Posts

December 31st, 2013 01:00

After installing the intel driver: 10.18.10.3345, it seems much less frequent, though still monitoring it.

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 14:00

Is this the fix?  I'm applying it now, but it is taking quite a while.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/latitude-e7440-ultrabook?driverId=1XFPM&osCode=W864&fileId=3330366653&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI

Fixes & Enhancements

Firmware update to fix flickering screen seen on external monitors attached to dock.
NOTE: For E7440/E7240 only, this update applies when using a dock. If your configuration does not include a dock, the update is not for you and will fail to install
-Scott Baugh

5 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 06:00

Thanks for posting the Synaptics link.  Just applied and am waiting for a flicker... so far so good.

I thought they made touchpads?  Surprised this affected the displays so much.

6 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 06:00

Thanks for the link Scott, I just applied it too and waiting for the flicker and so far no flicker.

I will apply it to other machines and let you guys know.

Thanks all

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 07:00

We are applying it here, haven't seen the flicker since applying. I'll post again if it does return.  

Synaptics also does the DisplayPort chipset in these.

-Scott

1 Message

January 8th, 2014 14:00

I am also having a similar issue. I have updated the BIOS and video driver with no luck. Tried multiple E-Port+ port replicators, different DVI cables, ran the DVI cables with DisplayPort Adapters and have had no luck. Going to try this firmware fix and hopefully that helps. I am not getting the wavy monitors but instead one will just randomly turn off, I then have to unplug the video cable from the port replicator and it comes back on. 

Thanks,

Alex

2 Posts

January 31st, 2014 08:00

I am a Dell employee and had the flicker on my awesome new 7240. This firmware upgrade fixed mine and it hasn't flickered in 24 hours since the upgrade. Mine is docked in an E-Port Plus through the display port.

thanks for posting Scott!

No Events found!